• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New to it all but templates

Wakey

Hey all does anyone recommend any app tape to make templates with? Going to have a go at templating a motorbike at weekend at the lay it on and draw the lines on top way, and just to make sure I’m right is it

Stick app tape on
Draw the template 3 mill from edge
Lay it on floor and take a pic from 2-3 feet away
Measure the hight and width for correct size?

Thanks in advance

Splash0321

Professional Amateur
Depends on how accurate you want to be.
Templating is just about 50% of what I do now.

The method you describe is accurate enough if you aren’t closely following any body lines. I would add in a horizontal and vertical line on each template that is a specific measurement and you can scale the photo using those.

I used to use application tape but found that sometimes it would actually distort when pulling it off of the vehicle and I’m OCD about accuracy so I started using paper. Smaller areas I use 11x17 paper and tape it on. I have a scanner that can scan that size sheet in so I just scan it in.

Larger areas I use 36” wide paper on a roll. I have a local guy that scans them in for me. I’ve found tremendous success in laying out some knife tape to create the edges exactly how I want them. The paper gets snugly taped on top and I rub a dark crayon over the knife tape and it draws a very clean line that is seen easily when scanned. Doing it this way has almost eliminated the need to do additional tweaks after the first test fit.

Most people aren’t looking for the accuracy I am but if you are it’s worth a try.

Wakey

Depends on how accurate you want to be.
Templating is just about 50% of what I do now.

The method you describe is accurate enough if you aren’t closely following any body lines. I would add in a horizontal and vertical line on each template that is a specific measurement and you can scale the photo using those.

I used to use application tape but found that sometimes it would actually distort when pulling it off of the vehicle and I’m OCD about accuracy so I started using paper. Smaller areas I use 11x17 paper and tape it on. I have a scanner that can scan that size sheet in so I just scan it in.

Larger areas I use 36” wide paper on a roll. I have a local guy that scans them in for me. I’ve found tremendous success in laying out some knife tape to create the edges exactly how I want them. The paper gets snugly taped on top and I rub a dark crayon over the knife tape and it draws a very clean line that is seen easily when scanned. Doing it this way has almost eliminated the need to do additional tweaks after the first test fit.

Most people aren’t looking for the accuracy I am but if you are it’s worth a try.
Ooo I like this I’m a tad ocd aswell thanks