• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Oce Arizona - Magenta printhead problem

chinaski

The magenta printhead on my Oce Arizona 460xt is printing blurry and misting. I've seen this posted elsewhere where the suggested problem was that the printhead must not be at the same height as the others, but from my own inspection I cannot see any difference in height between them. I'm not even sure how that's possible as the heads are screwed down and there doesn't seem to be any give for them to "pop out".

From the status check photo, you can see the difference between Magenta (problem head) and Cyan (reference). Also the poor alignment of the magenta in the letters. the "normal alignment" photo is a reference from weeks prior to this problem, so you can see the deviation. The prints were both done in uni-direction and there's a general magenta misting in the white between the letters that is difficult to show through the photo.

I'm hoping to solve this over the weekend to avoid getting a technician. I don't have an Epson scanner or service key to adjust software parameters, but I'm half tempted to unscrew the hex screws and reseat the head. Is this a bad idea? Any advice is appreciated.

Attachments

• Magenta-(problem).jpg
    Magenta-(problem).jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 169
  • Cyan-(reference).jpg
    Cyan-(reference).jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 101
  • IMG20231125173422.jpg
    IMG20231125173422.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 92
  • Normal alignment.jpg
    Normal alignment.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 90
  • Magenta unidirection.jpg
    Magenta unidirection.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 112

Boejoe77

The magenta printhead on my Oce Arizona 460xt is printing blurry and misting. I've seen this posted elsewhere where the suggested problem was that the printhead must not be at the same height as the others, but from my own inspection I cannot see any difference in height between them. I'm not even sure how that's possible as the heads are screwed down and there doesn't seem to be any give for them to "pop out".

From the status check photo, you can see the difference between Magenta (problem head) and Cyan (reference). Also the poor alignment of the magenta in the letters. the "normal alignment" photo is a reference from weeks prior to this problem, so you can see the deviation. The prints were both done in uni-direction and there's a general magenta misting in the white between the letters that is difficult to show through the photo.

I'm hoping to solve this over the weekend to avoid getting a technician. I don't have an Epson scanner or service key to adjust software parameters, but I'm half tempted to unscrew the hex screws and reseat the head. Is this a bad idea? Any advice is appreciated.
At first look it could be a bad batch of ink I would flush the magenta line and reservoir and replace the filter and start with a new bag .

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
I would not attempt to remove it and reinstall it.

I'd call the tech to realign all the print heads. We do this at least once a year. Things move, you're constantly thouching them while cleaning.

chinaski

At first look it could be a bad batch of ink I would flush the magenta line and reservoir and replace the filter and start with a new bag .
Interesting. Too bad I don't have spare ink but I do have a filter. I'll try this to see if it makes any difference.

I would not attempt to remove it and reinstall it.

I'd call the tech to realign all the print heads. We do this at least once a year. Things move, you're constantly thouching them while cleaning.
True, I was hoping to avoid this as I was planning to sell this machine in a few months, but I think I'm overdue for a realignment.

Another interesting thing I found was when printing the status check I am getting "over-misting", the paper is somewhat porous naturally but I never used to get this, except when I'd accidentally forget to change the head height lower to match the paper, from, say, 3mm to 0,2mm. The misting looks magenta-ish so maybe it is in fact sitting higher up in the carriage.

Attachments

• IMG20231126133423.jpg
    IMG20231126133423.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 89

chinaski

At first look it could be a bad batch of ink I would flush the magenta line and reservoir and replace the filter and start with a new bag
I raised this as a possible issue with our technician. He didn't know himself but went back and discussed it with his colleagues and it turns out Canon has had certain production batches of magenta that are defective. I guess this is a global issue but for $ome rea$on they haven't issued a recall... New inks and a filter should clear this up.