• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Overcoming hurdles

dwilliams29

Premium Subscriber
Did anyone start from basic to intermediate knowledge of vinyl print/cut and successfully overcome the challenges? If so, what were your go to resources?

Files types: vector, AI, jpeg, pdf, etc. How do you convert files from one type to another successfully?

When you convert an AI file to a vector file, it seems like there are extra layers of the image that I'd like to remove so that the contour cut doesn't pick them up but I haven't been able to successfully do this. Only if I create an image in LXi Master Plus can I remove specific cut marks or layers and print and cut as desired.

Before I list my equipment for sale, I'd like to exhaust some educational options first.

TIA

w2csa

Youtube and this forum are excellent recourses.
Also Facebook groups can be very helpful especially those specific to your equipment and software.

unclebun

Since it sounds like you don't know how to use the software well nor understand how it all works, I'd first say it's a mistake to start with AI as your primary design software. It's too difficult to do basic things in AI, and it seems Adobe purposely makes it hard. I believe you would find it far easier to learn in Corel Draw, which does things like exporting (how you get different file types) and deals with layers and creating special colors far more intuitively and easily.

That said, I think you aren't understanding the term vector. Illustrator works in vector (though it can, of course, have bitmap elements in a layout as well as use bitmap effects). So as long as everything you have drawn was vector, an .ai file is vector. Layers are things you create when you create the file. Adobe enthusiasts seem to love using millions of layers, but frankly you seldom need to use more than one or two layers in making a sign, if any at all. If you want to "remove" a layer, just turn it off for editing and exporting when you go to export the file.

Depending on the rip you use, contour cuts are usually designated by a special color you create called CutContour or something similar, with some innocuous color assigned to it.

LXi is a sign software that can probably do most everything you need for basic sign making and printing. It's supposed to be able to handle print-cut operations. They have a page of Tutorials on their website.

dwilliams29

Premium Subscriber
Since it sounds like you don't know how to use the software well nor understand how it all works, I'd first say it's a mistake to start with AI as your primary design software. It's too difficult to do basic things in AI, and it seems Adobe purposely makes it hard. I believe you would find it far easier to learn in Corel Draw, which does things like exporting (how you get different file types) and deals with layers and creating special colors far more intuitively and easily.

That said, I think you aren't understanding the term vector. Illustrator works in vector (though it can, of course, have bitmap elements in a layout as well as use bitmap effects). So as long as everything you have drawn was vector, an .ai file is vector. Layers are things you create when you create the file. Adobe enthusiasts seem to love using millions of layers, but frankly you seldom need to use more than one or two layers in making a sign, if any at all. If you want to "remove" a layer, just turn it off for editing and exporting when you go to export the file.

Depending on the rip you use, contour cuts are usually designated by a special color you create called CutContour or something similar, with some innocuous color assigned to it.

LXi is a sign software that can probably do most everything you need for basic sign making and printing. It's supposed to be able to handle print-cut operations. They have a page of Tutorials on their website.
"you don't know how to use the software well nor understand how it all works" 100% correct. I am using the LXi software, importing files into it. I have received these file types for one of my jobs, which would be the best to work with: AI, JPG, PNG, PDF, SVG & EPS? My printer is a PrismJET 54 and cutter is Graphtec 8600. I sent the jobs using Production Manager for LXi RIP. Thanks!

unclebun

If you wish to print-cut on the files you have received, you should use either the eps or pdf file. The svg might work if the LXi software can use it.

Johnny Best

Well, you can sell the equipment and drive Uber. But put your nose the grindstone and learn how to use the software.

damonCA21

Really to be able to make a success of signmaking now you need to have a good understanding of vector based graphic design. Without this you won't get very far.
However, often the best way is to jump in and start doing things and learn as you go along. Get a copy of Corel Draw, is MUCH easier to use than Adobe! Start with very basic things like making simple vector shapes, adding a colour to them and a contour cut, then print it out. Then try working with text, altering it, different fills, contour cuts etc..
Once you have mastered this, download some vector logos and print and cut those etc..

Saturn

Aging Member
Just my 2 cents. Unless you're going all-in on just doing signage, I'd recommend staying with Illustrator and Photoshop. Clients are going to be sending all manner of editable Illustrator .ai and .pdf files, and the oddball stuff they send is probably going to be more easily tackled using Adobe programs too. You're also going to find a lot more tutorials and resources this way. It's like starting a new job or trying to learn an instrument, there's no super shortcuts except to plod through it.

What I do is only peripherally sign related (don't tell anybody), but I've gotten far more PowerPoint files over the years, than I have CorelDRAW.

Remember too, that a lot of things you think should be automatic may benefit from a workaround solution. I do primarily die-cut stickers, and rather than have the software automatically create a contour cut, I usually create a quick B/W raster silhouette in Photoshop first, that I then vectorize on a separate layer from the actual artwork. Extra step? Sure, but it gives me a good cut line 100% of the time, and I don't have to try forcing anything. There's always 100 ways to skin a cat in these programs, so it does sometimes take a little creativity to get where you want—even if the sales brochure says otherwise...

Always helps to hear what sort of final product you're working on too. Automotive, small marketing stickers, signage, are all going to require different solutions in some way.

netsol

Uncle Bun said:
it's a mistake to start with AI as your primary design software. It's too difficult to do basic things in AI, and it seems Adobe purposely makes it hard

I'd have to stick up for Adobe,
they don't do it on purpose, they might just be stupid...

kind of like microsoft

Stacey K

I like making signs
I have to agree with Uncle Bun on this one. I have Corel, I've used Illy but I stick with LXI/Flexi - it's super easy to use. I just haven't spent the time to learn Corel like I should but LXI has you up and running within minutes.

For file types, there are a lot of posts in this site on those. To cut vinyl you need a vector file. Jpegs are not vector files so you need to either recreate the art yourself or do what lots of us do and send it out to a place for $15 and have them do it for you. Google vector file vs jepgs or something like that and you can find good tutorials on the different file types. You can't save a jpeg as an AI file and expect it to magically be a vector file, a jpeg is a jpeg is a jpeg. You can save a vector file as a jpeg.

I still struggle sometimes with files but if you post something on this forum lots of people will help you.

Humble PM

If I'm lucky, one day I'll be a Eudyptula minor
I'm over in the Adobe camp - it'll handle pretty much any file format except.canva. For those, see Stacey's advice.