• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Rounding corners on Max Metal (ACM) sign panels

phototec

I have a panel saw to cut MaxMetal (ACM) sign panels, however I want to use a hand router and a radius template to cut the corners with a 1" radius.

What kind/type of top bearing router bit should I use?

I have done this on wood, but never on a Aluminum sign panel, so I am looking for help or suggestions for the correct bit to get good clean cuts?
I have asked Grimco (where I purchase 3mm MaxMetal panels) and they were NO help.

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• wall-sign.jpg
    wall-sign.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 115

phototec

You use that paper corner rounder to cut 3mm MaxMetal (ACM) sign panels?

I have the Lasco corner rounder, but only use it for paper products. I don't think it will cut through 3mm ACM (MaxMetal) sign blanks.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
You use that paper corner rounder to cut 3mm MaxMetal (ACM) sign panels?

I have the Lasco corner rounder, but only use it for paper products. I don't think it will cut through 3mm ACM (MaxMetal) sign blanks.
I use an electric paper rounder on ACM and 040. I'm pretty sure the dies are the same as the one that was posted and it goes right through it. It'll even do 080 but it's a bit of an ask out of it.

Ryze Signs

The only routers bits with bearings I'm aware of are for wood. They are usually carbide, and should work fine for ACM. The proper tool would be to cut the whole panel with a CNC router.

Vassago

Any bearing will work as it contacts the template, rather than the work - the size determines how much it's offset from the template.

You can get plastic bearings to stop marks, but that's usually for chamfeing as it contacts the work instead of the template.

As other people have said - you can get corner rounder dies.. They'll cut metal if they're industrial metal cutting types.

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
As other have said- corner rounders work fine. Remember, the aluminum skin on ACM is approximately aluminum foil thick.

JBurton

Signtologist
To answer the question, a flush trim router bit is the proper style. This one's neat, it has bearings on both ends, which knocks out the potential to plunge, but essentially doubles the usefulness.
shopping

Personally though, acm is too flimsy to use a hand router on, it goughes like crazy. Corner rounder would be the safer option, especially if you intend to use these as an interior sign.

ikarasu

We use the bit like Jburton posted.

We also use a routing table though... not by hand. You can stack 5-6 alupanel pieces together and do them all at once, its much faster than a corner rounder - Which we have and sometimes use for 1 offs... but when we're doing 100 12x18s, the router is way faster.

And I disagree about the CNC being the correct tool for the job... Every single sign we've ever done on alupanel is 12", 24", 36", etc - Use a router and you're kerf is so thick you're wasting a ton of material, unless the customers ok with a 11.75" Sign. PLUS if you're doing certain projects.... Its much faster to sheet down 100 sheets and round the corners, than to CNC 100 sheets.

citysignshop

I have a panel saw to cut MaxMetal (ACM) sign panels, however I want to use a hand router and a radius template to cut the corners with a 1" radius.

What kind/type of top bearing router bit should I use?

I have done this on wood, but never on a Aluminum sign panel, so I am looking for help or suggestions for the correct bit to get good clean cuts?
I have asked Grimco (where I purchase 3mm MaxMetal panels) and they were NO help.

Thanks for any help.
I guess the big question; how many are you doing, and how pretty does it have to be? From your pic it appears they are viewed close-up, and can be touched, so high quality is necessary....but you want to avoid having to file and sand and cleanup every corner .....for hours!
Although I've used a lot of corner rounders, most of the ones suggested do NOT cut 1" radius.
The heavy duty version of the Lassco-wizer, the CR-60 will do it....the smaller ones have a plastic deck and mine all eventually cracked when nipping heavier materials!
Stacking multiples is obviously the smart way to do it, as long as the edge finish doesn't suffer. I find the bottom skin often leaves a sharp burr that has to be cleaned up. The Expert tools dies here are handy, but not cheap or able to do more than a few pieces at a time. ( Ignore the prices ....if you're south of the border!) :)
1713275458696.png

Signarama Jockey

This is the exact one we use. 3mm or 6mm ACM, magnets, PVC, etc. The thing is built out of flimsy metal, and over the years it has gotten a little jankey, but it functions reliably.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I guess the big question; how many are you doing, and how pretty does it have to be? From your pic it appears they are viewed close-up, and can be touched, so high quality is necessary....but you want to avoid having to file and sand and cleanup every corner .....for hours!
Although I've used a lot of corner rounders, most of the ones suggested do NOT cut 1" radius.
The heavy duty version of the Lassco-wizer, the CR-60 will do it....the smaller ones have a plastic deck and mine all eventually cracked when nipping heavier materials!
Stacking multiples is obviously the smart way to do it, as long as the edge finish doesn't suffer. I find the bottom skin often leaves a sharp burr that has to be cleaned up. The Expert tools dies here are handy, but not cheap or able to do more than a few pieces at a time. ( Ignore the prices ....if you're south of the border!) :)
They're kind of pricey for what they are. We have one of these for larger radius, it will handle 080 but is a little slow compared to the electric rounder we have.

Signarama Jockey

They're kind of pricey for what they are. We have one of these for larger radius, it will handle 080 but is a little slow compared to the electric rounder we have.
That thing looks pretty serious. I want one.