• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Scaling Images

SeanBender

Have a question on scaling in perspective or in differnt "planes"

I've attahced an example. We know what the door is since we did the vynil on the door but the customer wants to put up some arithecial letters above the door. So I just used the sidewalk and brick as a reference. But is there any other way to determine scale in 3d? or even if the picture was slanted in a way?

I hope this is making sense.

Attachments

• IMG_4567.jpg
    IMG_4567.jpg
    877.6 KB · Views: 369

Stacey K

I like making signs
I would take the photo as you did, straight on. Measure distance between the columns and count the brick then count the same amount out on the column for the height? That should get you very, very close to actual size. I don't feel like there's going to be enough slant to make a difference. Maybe I don't understand exactly what you are asking?

Snydo

It should be about 192" wide by 33.5" to the bottom of the gable vent if those are standard 8"x2.25" red bricks.

• Agree
Reactions: 2B

2B

When you say "ABOVE THE DOOR" are you referring to the gable face?

You have to scale using a reference at the surface that is being used, so count the bricks
A standard US brick size is 8 inches long x 3 5/8 inches wide (depth) x 2 1/4 inches high.

JBurton

Signtologist
Get a spike by ike. It's fantastic, but you have to use the device when taking the picture, and it costs $500. But, it'll take an angled photo, measure the distance with a laser, and distort the photo to be as if you were facing the structure directly, from vertical center.
Here's a before and after, one distorted and one for dimensions:

My Captures undefined 2023-06-05_13 02 01-05 00 (1) (1).jpg
My Captures undefined 2023-06-05_13 02 01-05 00 (2).jpg

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Have a question on scaling in perspective or in differnt "planes"

I've attahced an example. We know what the door is since we did the vynil on the door but the customer wants to put up some arithecial letters above the door. So I just used the sidewalk and brick as a reference. But is there any other way to determine scale in 3d? or even if the picture was slanted in a way?

I hope this is making sense.
I can help you... what exactly are the measurements for the door? WxH

JBurton

Signtologist
I can help you... what exactly are the measurements for the door? WxH
Cripes, I didn't even read that he had door dimensions. Don't do it for him!
Sean, draw a rectangle over the doors, resize it to your known dimensions, look at the percentage difference that it has changed, then select the image and enter that percentage. (This works in coreldraw swimmingly, but I can't attest to illy or mspaint)

Boudica

Too late... How about if I don't explain the method to my madness?
Although, you kinda just did, but you didn't mention everything.

Attachments

• SeanBender-Scaled.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 159

Stacey K

I like making signs
Well, once again, I didn't read the post well enough. I though you meant you were putting architectural letters on the brick above the doors LOL I didn't know arithecial was a word - what the hell kind of letters are those?

JBurton

Signtologist
Too late... How about if I don't explain the method to my madness?
Although, you kinda just did, but you didn't mention everything.
Why convert it down to 1/10?
Oh, I see I'm not in myront's corel thread, I'll see myself out.

But really, in corel, once you draw a perfect shape over an image that hasn't been resized, your rectangle and image both are technically 100%. By altering the size of the rectangle, it will alter the percentage, which is the exact ratio the image needs to be changed to. Now, thanks to you, we won't see Sean again until this same thing comes up!

Boudica

Why convert it down to 1/10?
Oh, I see I'm not in myront's corel thread, I'll see myself out.

But really, in corel, once you draw a perfect shape over an image that hasn't been resized, your rectangle and image both are technically 100%. By altering the size of the rectangle, it will alter the percentage, which is the exact ratio the image needs to be changed to. Now, thanks to you, we won't see Sean again until this same thing comes up!
1/10th - because I didn't want a file that would be too large to upload here. For something this size I would normally do it at 100%.

I will build templates at 1/10 when they are this size though:
1692830416049.png