• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

System 48 - keeps pausing for more data

Got a system 48 via AR400 controller & artpath which keeps pausing/stoping for data which seems to have happened once we changed the spindle to a water cooled motor. We have tried changing the PC we have got the new spindle on a completely separate electrical circuit. The weird thing is if you turn off the spindle and wait a couple of minutes the get the next data coming through eventually?? Basically it can’t do a simple letter ‘S’ without pausing twice but can do maybe 4 letters that are square like ‘L’ and ‘E’ etc has anyone had a similar issue of can point me in the right direction.. I would really appreciate any help as it’s a real headache atm

Vassago

Sounds like there's a buffer that's filling up. Usual causes of such errors are interference - do you have ferite beads on the cables of the new spindle?

Its basically not being told things are moving.

I've not used these for a while, might be worth thinking of upgrading the controller - there was a guy on here who'd done it before. The hardware will be fine, it's just there are so many things that can go wrong with the electronics of something that age

Thank you for this I think you could be right here, as when we first changed the spindle everything was working great but the spindle controller was just sitting on the table bed, we then tidied up the cables and water tubes and placed the spindle controller right next to the AR400 controller and this is when all the trouble started so maybe best to site it on the opposite side

Vassago

Make sure there's not an earth loop or it's not grounded. Try star earthing.. Everything going to one point rather than earthing through something else.

Then old inverters were quite noisy electrically as components age.

Vassago

Hmmm..

Could be an earth loop.

Chinese spindles often have "Questionable" wiring and can generate substantial interference.

Definitely looks like interference, a ferite bead on the 4 wire spindle cable could help.

A possible test if you have a multi meter is to see if you have a voltage on the earth lead - failing that is to remove the earth from the inverter (be very careful when doing this - obviously don't do it when plugged in) - the machine should be earthed, but you could have an earth loop which is creating interference. This used to be an issue with hifi amplifiers - you'd get a hum. As this machine is very old, any filter caps could (will have in all honesty ) have given up the ghost. The hum causes problems with the controller.

Getting an electrician in would be a good idea. - the controller is fine, but as a guess I'd say the caps have gone or started to go which is allowing noise into the circuit.

You can get mains filters (RS as you're in the UK and might have one local ) or eBay - thats cheap and should do the job.

Once again.. Be VERY careful with mains voltages. If in doubt.. Don't do it.

You in Bolton?

Yes I’m in Bolton, already tried the earth removal for the inverter (same result) but not tried your other suggestions yet will have another look on Wednesday as onsite installing tomorrow.. thanks for all the suggestions atm I will try any advice given

netsol

Make sure there's not an earth loop or it's not grounded. Try star earthing.. Everything going to one point rather than earthing through something else.

Then old inverters were quite noisy electrically as components age.
EXACTLY.

take a magnifier and look for "ringed" solder joints.

solder afew redundnt grounds toshields

Vassago

Another strange thing that might help.

As you do installs - see if you have one of those wall stud/ac finder things floating around. Use ac mode and see what you hear when you turn the spindle on - try it in a few locations.

I often use toners to find faults in wires and weird stuff happening