• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Threat of Closing this year...

amcswain

Hello all,

I'm in my 10th year of business. Because of my investments in the business, the overhead is slowly killing me. Most of my business is word of mouth. I'm trying to learn marketing now. Any tips on some things that I can do to help save my business. I have a couple of digital printers, 2 latex printers and a flatbed. I'm struggling to reach new clients. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks.

Goatshaver

Premium Subscriber
I'm in the same boat and have never advertised once in 5yrs, heck I don't even have a website yet. I've been in business for 5yrs and just bought a brand new printer but I'm in need of more clients to keep things running.
I'm going to make sample packs of different types or prints that I can do and put them in a little bag and staple my business card to them and send them or drop them off at local business. There should be plenty of work out there but you have to get your name out there and more visible.

Black Star

Not A New Member
Might be a stupid question, but does your area have a Chamber of Commerce that you can join and get involved with? I've found these are great to join but you have to be active to get attention. Our local Chamber has social events that we are able to attend and network with other local businesses. The internet has made it so easy for anyone to order anything which has hurt our industry. I've been in business in my location for 25+ years and I still have people tell me that they never realized there was a local printer that could help them out.

Signstein

You can look into your local B2B and civic organizations. My wife is in procurement and gets tons of leads through them: BNI, Rotary Club, Chamber of Commerce, Business After Hours, etc.

JBurton

Signtologist
The internet has made it so easy for anyone to order anything which has hurt our industry.
At the same time, don't totally discount a website & google listing. While some younger folk will exclusively search somewhere like FB, as you progress up the ladder of professionalism, many won't call on you because you don't have a website that makes them feel like you are a legit business. Google listings are also critical just for any customer attempting to look you up on a mobile device, odds are google paid the manufacturer to default to them...

MarkSnelling

Mark Snelling - Hasco Graphics
What are you primarily producing? I focus on selling films which are more profitable than just banner and adhesive vinyl on a board.....as I say all the time, I try to find films which are not commodity films where both of us can make some money. I'm in Chicago all the time...maybe we can meet up and I can show you some cool window, wall, and floor films. At the very least, if you get out and show these to your current and potential customers, they'll make a splash and get you noticed.

Signarama Jockey

Whenever a new DBA is filed, a classified ad used to be taken out as a way to publicly notify the world that this new business exists and what it does. These are brand new businesses, and they might not have explored all of their signage options yet. Getting in touch with these people early on is a good way to create new and long term business partners.

Another idea would be a dedicated sales guy. Barring that, you could offer referral fees to your customers. You could give out business cards with your customer's name written on it and have them give those out to their friends and anyone who they think might need you. This card worth 5% off your order of $100+! Then you kick your customer who referred them $20.

Do you have a work truck? Wrapped? Do that.

Graphic Extremes

Knows To Little
There is a big problem going on right now. This was just featured:

43 percent of small business renters in the U.S. were unable to pay their rent in full and on time in the month of April​

05-07-2024, 01:24 PM

43 percent of small business renters in the U.S. were unable to pay their rent in full and on time in the month of April.

Biden's inflation, and browning trillions the USA does have spoiled the economy and caused 20% inflation the 3.3 years.

Near half of small business can no longer afford to pay their rent in full for April 2024.

This was posted and talked about at this address:

This is a starting point for what they claim is coming, first this then real estate, and the the housing

For the record I am not a conspiracy theorist

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
There is a big problem going on right now. This was just featured:

43 percent of small business renters in the U.S. were unable to pay their rent in full and on time in the month of April​

05-07-2024, 01:24 PM

43 percent of small business renters in the U.S. were unable to pay their rent in full and on time in the month of April.

Biden's inflation, and browning trillions the USA does have spoiled the economy and caused 20% inflation the 3.3 years.

Near half of small business can no longer afford to pay their rent in full for April 2024.

This was posted and talked about at this address:

This is a starting point for what they claim is coming, first this then real estate, and the the housing

For the record I am not a conspiracy theorist
You guys will fall for anything. That's a post someone or something made on a forum with zero data to back it up. Furthermore, I would like to know how this would even be measured considering how many businesses rent from private individuals. None of them have any way or anywhere to report any sort of data relating to delinquencies in rent. Any real statistical measure doesn't conflate multiple data points either. This right here, "we're unable to pay their rent in full and on time" is so ambiguous that it should be enough to know you're reading garbage and by the second line "Biden's inflation" explains the motive of said garbage.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
That website is all about the sport of boxing, and they need to proof read their articles better.

netsol

I'm in the same boat and have never advertised once in 5yrs, heck I don't even have a website yet. I've been in business for 5yrs and just bought a brand new printer but I'm in need of more clients to keep things running.
I'm going to make sample packs of different types or prints that I can do and put them in a little bag and staple my business card to them and send them or drop them off at local business. There should be plenty of work out there but you have to get your name out there and more visible.
we did the same (printed some of our best designs, on coro, sintra, styrene, banner, poster paper, etc then drilled a 1/4" hole through the stack on a drill press (the ones that didn't want to punch)
then we used these to keep them together

netsol

should have said we print these designs at 3.5" x 7"size to make a sample pack
(typing while on the phone with a client)

gnubler

I'm in my 10th year of business. Because of my investments in the business, the overhead is slowly killing me. Most of my business is word of mouth. I'm trying to learn marketing now. Any tips on some things that I can do to help save my business. I have a couple of digital printers, 2 latex printers and a flatbed. I'm struggling to reach new clients. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks.
I'm a one person shop in my fourth year. Like others said, try networking face to face. I used to attend a monthly event for local business owners and got jobs from it every time.

I tried various marketing attempts: local newspaper, community magazine, social media. Nothing was really effective, it's 99% word of mouth and referrals. I occasionally dick around with Facebook but I hate it and find it's basically not worth my time. Social media is a TIME SUCK.

If the overheard is killing you then reduce the overhead. Whatever isn't making you money needs to go. I don't print anything in-house and not sure if I even want to. I outsource to various trade printers depending on the project. Signs365, Firesprint, and B2Sign are all great and FAST. My markup is double or triple my cost and all I have to do are submit files.

UnionPrinter

Hello all,

I'm on my 22nd year and I know the feeling you have. When I first started some business people I knew told me I had to get a "niche". What the heck is that.... Took me a while to learn but I get it now. The best person that can sells surfboards is a surfer. I'll give you a few other pointers. I wise man said to me when I asked him the magic to his success.... he said: 4 things you need to do... Early to bed, Early to rise, Work like hell and Advertise!
And I'll share this, Make a list of your customers, and don't be scared to call them. All of them. And if things are that bad tell them. Ask if then need anything printed. The pizza companies send us advertising all the time, because it works. Calling all your customers once every month or two worked for me. "Hey Bob, it's Manny... Are those signs I made you last month working for you...... oh do you need anything else.... by the way I print t-shirts too, just so you know" Something like that. And lastly... create a small flyer with all you do, then spend 2 hours walking down the biggest street you have in town and walk in to every business (not big companies, like 7-11 or McDonalds ) and tell them... " Hi, my name is Manny and I work down at your local print shop, and I wanted to come by and introduce myself and share with you what I can print." Some will kick you out but some won't. You'll be surprised how many people didn't know you even existed. If you only do one type of printing... then expand and outsource something else you don't to be able to have a bigger menu. / 4over.com for paper printing and some wide format / transferexpress.com for DTF so you can make shirts, you just need a heat press. Not telling you what to do, just sharing ideas. Hope it helps you. P.S. I pray before I do these things and I believe he helps me. // Manny //

First of all, If you dont have ANY website that is crazy. At least set up a free webpage on one of the webpage sites. And make sure you are on Linked in and Facebook, business can trickle in from that. Secondly, Have you forgotten that you are a printer? Print up small ad sheets with a coupon. Offer 5% or 10% off your first job for new customers... People love a discount! Then put them in places, Maybe you can leave them at some big office buildings or with one of your clients or make one you can post on the bulletin boards of all the local super markets. OR.... inquire of your post office about their area mail distribution deals. They do that. They can tell you they have this area with 1500 addresses and that other area with 2800 addresses and you can give them that amount of postcard ads (with coupon) and they will give one to each address they go to in those areas.

visual800

you say overhead is killing you? get rid of it! If you have a fancy storefront, move! Sell some equipment. Dont bother with any of those chamber BS groups, nothing but a fashion show to whos who in the city, noone cares. Contact other shops in town and offer some wholesale priting to them. raise your prices to others. We really need to know what kinds of jobs that you do

Signs101Admin

Owner
Staff member
PENSACOLA, Fla. -- New numbers reveal just how many small businesses are struggling under economic pressure.

The networking platform Alignable surveyed more than 4,100 small businesses across the country. In April, 43% of them could not pay their rent in full or on time.

US Small-Business Rent Delinquencies Rise to a Three-Year High​

2022 Rent Crisis Breaks Troubling Records​

US Small-Business Rent Delinquencies Rise to a Three-Year High​

netsol

full disclosure: we don't have a website either.
i seriously doubt if he sets up a free website that it will EVER generate a dollar

we have never setup a website because i do not want to deal with one up customers

someone else can print HAPPY BIRTHDAY PATTY!!

seriously, we will solicit and do business with the type of clients we want to have, it is always possible a walk in customer will be the find of a lifetime but it is doubtful