• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl Cutters compatible with Mac M1

Pinhole

Hi all, I am sure this has been discussed before, but I haven't been able to find a straight forward answer and don't have hours to dig through forums. I am looking at adding an entry level vinyl cutter to my shop, mainly for cut-vinyl decals. I am running a Mac with an M1 chip with Ventura 13.6 as of now. All the cutters I have found that say they are Mac compatible mention an Intel chip requirement. Is anyone out there running a cutter off of a Mac with an M1 and using Illustrator? If so, what brand and model of cutter and software are you using? Thanks in advance!

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Mimaki cutters will run on mac's latest OS. They aren't really entry level priced though. Their low end 24" is about $1600.

Saturn

Aging Member
So long as you don't expect to do any graphics ON it, most plotters will run off a <$500 Costco laptop perfectly well. Just make sure it has the correct port(s) for what the plotter needs. I find doing a fresh and barebones install of Windows can really create a dependable little speed demon.

In contrast to what I read about on here, I use cheap laptops to run my printers, first a little Mutoh and now an Epson 80600. They RIP nearly instantly (5-10 seconds), although the largest files I'd ever push are 200-300MB, and seem to give as long a life (or longer) as the Desktops I use for actual work.

Pinhole

So, I guess no one is using an Apple M1 to run a cutter? I am trying to limit the amount of equipment I need to add, and to use what I currently have.

Signstein

Have you heard about Rosetta? It allows an M-series Mac to run applications built for Intel: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211861

"Rosetta is not an app that you open or interact with. Rosetta works automatically in the background whenever you use an app that was built only for Mac computers with an Intel processor. It translates the app for use with Apple silicon. Simply open your app and use it like you normally would."

Johnny Best

Does not matter about chips, it is the OS your software is concerned with. use EasCutStudio with my Mac and cut with a Summa.
If you go to EasyCut websites it will tell you what cutters are available. The sign industry mainly uses PC and when the industry first started using computers it was all green screen people. The popular consencious on here is get a PC, not a Mac.

The OSX on EasyCut is 10.8-14.2, so your OS being 13.6 will be fine. EasyCut is software you can own and not subscription based where you have to buy it again and again every year.

JethroMc

We have an old Graphtec FC 8600-160 and it works just fine with an M1 Mac via Cutting Master.
One thing you do have to watch for is that Graphtec does not update Cutting Master as frequently as Adobe updates Illustrator, so Illustrator keeps getting ahead and there can be compatibility issues. Simply check for Cutting Master updates before updating Illustrator and you'll be fine.