• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl on angled trailer front?

gnubler

Customer wants a large vinyl graphic installed on the angled front of this trailer. Top of trailer is about 10ft from the ground. Bad idea? Do-able?

How would you install this?

pro-Rsqx75Pt.jpeg

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Customer wants a large vinyl graphic installed on the angled front of this trailer. Top of trailer is about 10ft from the ground. Bad idea? Do-able?

How would you install this?

View attachment 171669
I'd probably do two vertical panels with the seam in the middle. Starting from the top and working my way down. I'd walk on it and when you get low enough, step on a ladder. But that's just my opinion coming from what I see in the pictures. Might be more or less dangerous in person.

gnubler

I'll see if I can find out how steep of an angle that is.

Any thoughts on the vinyl getting peppered with road debris? This is a 40 foot trailer presumably towed by a big truck.

visual800

fist thing I would tell them dont waste your money. Its going to get beat to hell and back and it aint gonna hold up

Signarama Jockey

Totally doable. You could do horizontal or vertical tiles. If you're concerned with wear and tear, you might consider using a floor lamination. That stuff is thick and designed to take a beating. This will change how you tile the prints, but it will probably make the application more straightforward. As to where your sit or stand while installing it... I mean, this looks like a broken ankle to me. You'll be on a slant, with not much to step on and keep yourself from sliding off. No way to secure a harness, and it's going to be a big lean to get over to the middle. Definitely a 2 or 3 person job. Wish I could come up with a safe and efficient plan for the install. Do you have a scaffold?

The print is no problem. The protection is no problem. It's the install that you need a safe solution for. Good luck.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
That's why a printer jockey stays in the office. That's not a 2-3 person job and scaffold would have no where to go. Sometimes it takes a set of balls to be an installer, and gnubler has proven to have some.

MikePro

i'd plan my tile line to be at one of those horizontal seams, and you'll never notice it.
...and also pre-removing those hazard lights, so I don't have to work around them. if they're caulked-on, then just rip it off and cleanup best you can, and then caulk them back on

JBurton

Signtologist
Agreed. I got another image of the trailer from the customer and am going to pass on the job. Way too sketchy - both the trailer and the customer. I looked at the latest image and instantly heard banjos playing in the backwoods.

Me? I'd back it into the ditch out front, then walk all over the level plain. I'll be done before the opossum soup! If I were in a more professional mindset, I might jack/crane the front until level, or if it's short enough, I could hoist the back until it's vertical, but I doubt it is.

gnubler

Me? I'd back it into the ditch out front, then walk all over the level plain. I'll be done before the opossum soup! If I were in a more professional mindset, I might jack/crane the front until level, or if it's short enough, I could hoist the back until it's vertical, but I doubt it is.
Not feasible, it appears to be a residence and what looks like an RV mounted on a gooseneck trailer, with tarps and everything. There's nothing professional about it. LOL

JBurton

Signtologist
Not feasible, it appears to be a residence and what looks like an RV mounted on a gooseneck trailer, with tarps and everything. There's nothing professional about it. LOL
This just adds to the hilarity! Request them to drop it off, tip it so all their junk slides to one side, then act super surprised when they get home and realize what's happened.
I really want to see this second image...

MikePro

its a trap! dude shows up to your shop for the graphics, doesn't pay the bill, and then magically produces a receipt of sorts that validates his tenant claims & squatter's rights ensue.