• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl post and panel question.

I've never worked with these contraptions before now, so I have a simple question, really. We have a client who has a 4' x 8' (with a 89" x 45" opening)vinyl post and panel setup that I am showing in the pics below. It looks like the last installer just ran a couple of screws into it where the plugged holes on top are. There are plugged holes located near the bottom as well, but no fasteners were used to secure the bottom portion. So I'm guessing replacing the sign panel should be as easy as prying the top apart on both sides (after the screws are removed, obviously), dropping in the new panel and re-securing it in the same fashion? Are they any problems I can expect when replacing panels in these cheap vinyl post and panel frames? I would very much appreciate any input from anyone who has had some experience with these.

Attachments

• 20131213_104824.jpg
    20131213_104824.jpg
    406.1 KB · Views: 119
  • 20131213_104832.jpg
    20131213_104832.jpg
    262.6 KB · Views: 111

Pat Whatley

No big deal, spread them and drop the new panel in.

The only thing to watch for is that cheap PVC posts get a little brittle after years outdoors. If you flex them too far the posts will snap.

signguyms

I had to dig on the outside of one post to get the spread apart enough, the one I replaced was about 3 ft off the ground and still couldn't get it without digging.

No big deal, spread them and drop the new panel in.

The only thing to watch for is that cheap PVC posts get a little brittle after years outdoors. If you flex them too far the posts will snap.

Thanks, Pat. That was kind of my concern. The finish is slightly chalky looking on it so I'm guessing it's been around a while. It's also lopsided by about 4 inches. The post located in the ditch has settled a lot since whenever it was first dropped in. I'm thinking maybe I can upsell them on an aluminum frame but digging the old one out may be difficult in these winter months. Would you suggest that I tell them we are not responsible for breakage on this type of sign? 3.5" inches on each end is a pretty good distance to have to spread the posts and with below 30 temps I'm even more concerned that the vinyl will be brittle.

MikePro

seen a lot of those for property management companies, i wouldn't be surprised if you could simply pluck the whole-thing out of the ground as they usually tend to be set w/o any concrete footing, just compacted dirt.

is it out of the equation to simply measure the v.o. and VHB tape a new graphic panel on top of the existing?

Moze

Those can be a bit of a booger putting together even when they're new and in pieces on dry ground. Since that's already installed, removing the old face without pulling one of the posts might be a pain (not that pulling the post wouldn't be a pain...).

A lot of your ability to replace it without removing a post is going to depend on how far both the current and new face extend into the posts. Typically, they extend almost to the outer edges which wouldn't allow you to pull the posts directly away from each other far enough to pull the face out.

If it were me, I would try to overlay the face with vinyl or a panel that will nest in between the posts and crosspieces.

is it out of the equation to simply measure the v.o. and VHB tape a new graphic panel on top of the existing?

Good question. That option never occurred to me, but I would be afraid that a new 3mm ACM taped to each side would double the weight of the existing sign and not be practical from an engineering/wind load standpoint. Perhaps I'm wrong about that.

MikePro

yeah, vinyl for sure if that's possible (unless there's existing cut vinyl that would show-through as raised elements, which is obnoxious). just gotta be careful while applying large sheets of vinyl in this weather, as they love to snap/shred/tear apart in your hands due to the freezing temps.

as far as weight is concerned, a pair of 1/8" dibond, or .040 aluminum panels wouldn't add too much more weight. heck, you could try to stand on one of the crossbars to do an approx. test an additional load, but i'm sure you should be fine.

Moze

So that is a safe approach? Oh my god, that would be awesome. Easiest replacement ever.

The weight of the existing face is primarily a static load that is supported by the posts. Overlaying 3mm ACM panels wouldn't add much to the static load and doesn't increase the area exposed to wind load so you would be fine.

Pat Whatley

There is another option. There's only 3" of solid post above the top bar. You can always slit that then lift the whole crossbar out of the top and then slide the panel out the same gap. No problems with posts snapping and simply caulk it to fill it when you're done. It won't show unless someone is specifically looking for it.

Another option it to drive my there one night and run it over with your truck then you can install a new one.

Thank you so much guys! .040 alum. or 1/8" ACM it is! I'll compare the weigh and go with what's lightest. I don't want to deal with applying a graphic in this weather. The exiting panel appears to be a digital print over 1/4" ACM, so I don't want it to fail over the existing graphic. Hard telling if it's cast, calendered, or what's exactly on it.

There is another option. There's only 3" of solid post above the top bar. You can always slit that then lift the whole crossbar out of the top and then slide the panel out the same gap. No problems with posts snapping and simply caulk it to fill it when you're done. It won't show unless someone is specifically looking for it.

Another option it to drive my there one night and run it over with your truck then you can install a new one.

I like the second option. Lol. The caps appear to be glued on top with a grey adhesive, I would guess some all weather construction adhesive, so I doubt I can remove them to slit it.

Last time I bought one I didn't think they were that cheap!

They may not be that cheap or cheaply made, but that's just my interpretation of them when compared to a steel or aluminum frame, or solid wood. I'm the kind of guy who prefers the durability of wood/,metal and also the changeability of it also, considering these PVC things seem to better suited for short term signage or signage that doesn't need changed frequently.

signguyms

Another option is to cut the frame post off at the ground, put the new sign in and slide a wood 4x4 inside it and put some screws in to hold it.

TammieH

might not be a biggie...you may be able to loosen all fasteners, then slide sign and or cross members to one side, then pull out,

always investigate thoroughly!