• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

White Ink Adhesion

Bxtr

It seems so intermittent. We initially had our lamps @ 100. The issue as it was explained to me then, was that it was curing before it had a chance to bond with the material. We turned the lamps down to 70% and things seemed to work out better over all. Now we run into the same issue and I was subsequently told that my lamps were too low and to turn them up to 100%. The ACM we ran half the sheet laid up great. The other half (bottom half) is literally peeling off as if it was printed on the backside of the low tack paper mask.
The media WAS print ready I was later informed. Normally we do not have an issue. I did a small test print on a piece of 3/8 acrylic (1st surface) put a section of high tack paint mask on it and ran it through the laminator. I ripped the mask off and everything was still there. We print on 6mm PVC daily. No issues. If white is laid down, it's 50-50 most times. It's the inconsistencies that are driving me nuts
Patrick, are you having any luck with any materials?
Or can you get sample sheets of different products than you normally use from your vendor?
Are you putting white down when printing everything or just dark/clear substrates?
On white material, if we start seeing finger prints we will lay down 10-20% white ink as we are printing color. We never print over 30% on the lamps, I know when printing MDO or ACM or Aluminum. We could go higher but if it's curing good on everything we don't see a point to readjust for each material just to have an operator forget and destroy an expensive sheet.

The materials we have printed on without issue have come from multiple vendors. We have printed on the digital ready and non-digital ready and the huge difference for us the was only the acrylic unless used with promoter.

Patrick Farrell

So we had this issue in the past with the standard inks. Have you tried running white as it's own print file and then the color in a second run?

Turn your lamps down on the white run, then back up on the color
I guess that does make sense. That's how I usually do my Haptic print files. I never made the connection though. Most of my Haptic test prints are smaller in size due to the longer print times and copious amounts of white ink that has to be laid down first to gain the texture. I will definitely give that a shot. Thanks for the input.

Patrick Farrell

Patrick, are you having any luck with any materials?
Or can you get sample sheets of different products than you normally use from your vendor?
Are you putting white down when printing everything or just dark/clear substrates?
On white material, if we start seeing finger prints we will lay down 10-20% white ink as we are printing color. We never print over 30% on the lamps, I know when printing MDO or ACM or Aluminum. We could go higher but if it's curing good on everything we don't see a point to readjust for each material just to have an operator forget and destroy an expensive sheet.

The materials we have printed on without issue have come from multiple vendors. We have printed on the digital ready and non-digital ready and the huge difference for us the was only the acrylic unless used with promoter.
That's where it gets maddening. I printed a job on 12mm Black PVC (stock not digitally rated). Adhesion failed. We turned the lamps down from 100% to 70% and it worked great. We just ordered some dyne pens. I'm really hoping this helps with the prep. If i know a sheet is going to be a problem going in, I can take the steps to make sure it doesn't fail. Have you had any experience with Bondaid 2? We picked up a bottle of the acrylic AP and it goes on like super glue. I get maybe 3 swipes of a cloth and it hardens. AP3155 doesn't do that.

ProColorGraphics

I have been using the AP-2155. I agree the 3155 is nasty!! The 2155 still stinks, but has worked great for me on anything from coroplast to acrylic to ACP.

Bxtr

That's where it gets maddening. I printed a job on 12mm Black PVC (stock not digitally rated). Adhesion failed. We turned the lamps down from 100% to 70% and it worked great. We just ordered some dyne pens. I'm really hoping this helps with the prep. If i know a sheet is going to be a problem going in, I can take the steps to make sure it doesn't fail. Have you had any experience with Bondaid 2? We picked up a bottle of the acrylic AP and it goes on like super glue. I get maybe 3 swipes of a cloth and it hardens. AP3155 doesn't do that.
I've only used the AP-3155 on acrylics, even then if you aren't printing heavy saturation or solid colors 1st surface you can see they wipe marks/hand prints.
Although it takes longer we've routed acrylic and just used the promoter on the edge and printed with bleed, if you have multiples you can always set up a jig.