• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question XPJ 661 switch from hard to soft inks

Gary Wiant

I purchased the 661 thinking we would be doing a lot of ADA Signage but that hasn't been the case so I'm 99% sure I want to switch to soft inks. Has anyone done this, or have started with soft inks? Do you regret running soft inks? Have you experienced any issues?

chrisphilipps

Merchant Member
The 661 can be inked up with either the UH21 or the US11 inks but the two ink sets are not compactable with each other. Unless something has changed recently that I am unaware of, you have to replace the entire ink delivery system to switch ink types. This includes all ink lines, maintenance station, pumps, dampers, and print head.

Ronny Axelsson

I made the switch from UH21 to US11 on a Mutoh VJ 626 UF a couple of years ago.
The UH inks worked great on rigid materials but just like you, Gary, my work shifted towards more soft materials so I decided to make the switch.
The UH inks were too hard and would crack or break after a while and could also make the substrate curl or crack if exposed to sunlight.
US11 is more flexible but I still cannot recommend it for outdoor stickers for example, it has similar overcuring (?) tendencies if exposed to sunlight for a longer period.
The UH21 inks also had a bit more vivid colors *, was very resistant against solvents and had excellent scratch resistance.
But US11 isn't bad either and I don't regret making the switch.

I had to replace a couple of things, like the capping station for example, but not the entire ink lines.
I suggest you make sure the waste line and tank is clean before starting to use the new inks though.
Have noticed that the waste ink tank gets more clogged after changing ink type, and it is possible that there may have been remnants of UH21 in it which caused a chemical reaction.

Attached is a text with some instructions, that I got from Mutoh.
Be careful though, it may be different on the 661.

* Took a while and some experimentation to get the colors right with US11.

Attachments

• Switching from UH21 to US11.txt
    1.9 KB · Views: 11

Gary Wiant

Ronny, I'm hoping I could still use the US inks on outdoor parking signs & coroplast signs as well as soft materials. Since warranty is out what are your thoughts about 3rd party inks?

Ronny Axelsson

The US11 inks work fine for outdoor use, and so did UH21, but I would be very careful when using them on soft materials that are exposed to sunlight.
My tests and experience shows that stickers will start to lift at the edges, curl into a roll and may even fell of over time.
Since US is more flexible, it doesn't crack and break like UH could do.
Then, like with all other inks, colors will fade over time but UV inks may be a little better than solvent for example, due to a thicker ink layer, but I still recommend varnish or overlaminate if possible.

Make the switch but I suggest you make your own test prints to see how it works over time.

Regarding 3rd party inks, even if you can find any (not aware of any for these printers), I'd say no.
My own experience with other printers over the years, is that I get dissatisfied every time I try to save some money using 3rd party inks and toners.