• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

1105 ON HP 700W DARK COLOURS BANDING

roybuys

Hey there,
We're having some really bad issues with darker colours on 1105 and horizontal banding.
HP have recommended 16 pass at 140 ink density which i think is absolutely ridiculous.
Does anyone have any tips or suitable profiles that actually work with this media?
I'm also having some delamination issues. i have overcoat turned off so i assume it's an ink density issue....i'm starting to really get over this printer.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Nah your only option is high passes, there's no other way. Cast vinyl is most difficult.
Or just live with a little banding, you are unlikely to get it 100% perfect anyway.

What's your curing heat at? Too low?
You are letting the laminate sit on the print 24 hours before wrapping?

Last edited:

roybuys

Nah your only option is high passes, there's no other way. Cast vinyl is most difficult.
Or just live with a little banding, you are unlikely to get it 100% perfect anyway.

What's your curing heat at? Too low?
You are letting the laminate sit on the print 24 hours before wrapping?
Hey Mate,
I'm just confused as the old printers didn't have any issues with slower passes.

Heat is at 95 degrees vacuum is at 5. and running at 140 ink density at 16 pass.
Laminate i never let sit with latex as they're advertised for being able to laminate straight away however i was busy this week so did let it sit for over 24 hours.

The settings just sound comical especially with the ink density

balstestrat

Problem Solver
It's the new ink and new printheads that make that banding. On L630 with single row of printheads the issue is almost non-existing. But L700/800 it's bad with some colors and like I said especially Cast vinyl.

95° sounds fine. You sure it was set to 0 on that preset? You can check later from printos how much the overcoat usage was for that job. Should be close to nothing.

The difference is that yes, you can laminate straight after the print comes out (as long as your curing temp is correct and it's dry) BUT you should let the laminate adhesive adhere properly for 24 hours before applying the wrap. It doesn't have to do with the ink but just the adhesive to go 100%.

It is the official guide from HP to go like that. I'm not sure if this is mistake, I think 16p140 should be 8pUniDir not 16pBiDir.

1708680083722.png

Last edited:

roybuys

It's the new ink and new printheads that make that banding. On L630 with single row of printheads the issue is almost non-existing. But L700/800 it's bad with some colors and like I said especially Cast vinyl.

95° sounds fine. You sure it was set to 0 on that preset? You can check later from printos how much the overcoat usage was for that job. Should be close to nothing.

The difference is that yes, you can laminate straight after the print comes out (as long as your curing temp is correct and it's dry) BUT you should let the laminate adhesive adhere properly for 24 hours before applying the wrap. It doesn't have to do with the ink but just the adhesive to go 100%.

It is the official guide from HP to go like that. I'm not sure if this is mistake, I think 16p140 should be UniDir not BiDir.

View attachment 169803
These printers are junk....I was thinking of moving over to Arlon SLX so this will have the same issue as it's a cast film?

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Can't say for sure. There's difference between brands and profiles. If the shade of your desired colour changes a little it can show completely different results.

I say try it, get one roll and see how it goes. But don't expect miracles.

roybuys

Can't say for sure. There's difference between brands and profiles. If the shade of your desired colour changes a little it can show completely different results.

I say try it, get one roll and see how it goes. But don't expect miracles.
Thanks for the help mage, will see what happens. I'll test through on Monday...pretty sad to see issues this bad with this printer.

ikarasu

What color are you having issues with? Upload a swatch and I'll run it on our 700... We never have banding and only ever run anything at 9 pass.... Or was it 6 pass. I forget

roybuys

What color are you having issues with? Upload a swatch and I'll run it on our 700... We never have banding and only ever run anything at 9 pass.... Or was it 6 pass. I forget
Hey mate I'll shoot you something through on Monday. Are you running cast films? It's only happening on Avery 1105

roybuys

So minimized or it’s still a problem even on 3m?
I've been running 1105 for a while and it's been great with light colours but had a few dark coloured jobs this week and it was a nightmare. Not sure how long ikarasu has been running for and if any issues on darker colours but I'll send him my file tomorrow and if no issues I think I may switch stocks

ikarasu

Never had an issue on 180.

That being said... If I've learned anything about hp printers, one may print length perfectly while the other doesn't.... one may print certain colors perfectly while one doesn't... So even if it prints fine for me, it may not for you.

But I'm willing to try still, if it works for me it's worth buying a roll and seeing!

We have one of the first generations of 700w... I believe we were first in Canada to officially buy one, from Grimco at least. So we've been running it for a few years.... Only time we ever get banding is when we need to swap a head.

I somewhat recall being told certain gradients would band when it had light colors... And someone sent me a file and it was ok on my printer. So I'm sure it is a known issue... Not something Ive personally seen and we don't full roll or two everyday.

johnnysigns

We have these problems on our R2000 too and my first check is always to check the outboard wiper. Not sure if the R2Rs are built the same way, but it's been a consistent hassle on the larger machines.

RabidOne

Used to run 1105 on an 800W and had the odd banding issue. As Ikarasu said for us it was almost always a head needing replacement.
I did have it running at 12 pass for vehicle wraps but that was just me as I was hyper critical of quality and I could see the difference.
Speed wasn't that much of a factor going from 6 to 12.