• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

12 Inch Vinyl?

Zillabaubles

We are having a very hard time finding 12 inch vinyl in more than a couple of colors. Anyone have a link or two to some companies that have a wide variety of 12 inch vinyl colors?

TIA

D_R_Designs

Suppliers

My suggestion would be to ask your vinyl supplier if they would be willing to split a 24" roll into 2 - 12" rolls. If they will then your color availibility is endless. The other option would be to buy your own splitter.

Flame

Call Pacific Coast Sign Supply. I order split rolls from them every couple weeks. All of my digital print vinyl and laminate, and a fair portion of my Oracal cast vinyl is all cut down to my preffered size by these guys.

Kudo's to them for doing it after hours for me last Friday too. THANK YOU GUYS!

mladams7259

get on ebay and look up the seller ttcdistribution I have bought tons on vinyl from them. Its all great quality and great prices. almost all of their vinyl is 12 inch and they have tons of colors.

Zillabaubles

D_R_Designs said:
My suggestion would be to ask your vinyl supplier if they would be willing to split a 24" roll into 2 - 12" rolls. If they will then your color availibility is endless. The other option would be to buy your own splitter.

Sweet, thank you so much. I didn't know that they would do that. That certainly changes my state of mind. When I posted today I was ready to put that Sticka back on ebay where it came from....lol

Timothy Davis

I am not 100% sure but today while I was at Fellers I asked them if they could cut down a 4x6 sheet of Camoclad(SP) and they could so I am guessing they are able to do what you need as well.

The other idea would be to buy 24" rolls of Oracal and look on the back. There is a pretty strait line that runs right near the middle. If you are quick and steady you can trim it down yourself if you have to.

Zillabaubles

mladams7259 said:
get on ebay and look up the seller ttcdistribution I have bought tons on vinyl from them. Its all great quality and great prices. almost all of their vinyl is 12 inch and they have tons of colors.

I've been trying to find ttcdistribution on ebay with no success, might be the distraction of an almost 5 year old boy on my lap... But, I did find a seller, dirt_cheap_decals that has a bunch of auctions up. Has anyone done business with this seller?

I don't even know what a 'good price' is for vinyl...maybe I should have done a bit more research before buying this machine that I have eh? My sister and myself are so excited to get working with the Sticka but with all the instant road blocks I am starting to get discouraged. :(

Timothy Davis

When I first bought my cutter I had good and bad luck on ebay buying vinyl.

We bought a few rolls and had no idea what we had bought once it arrived.

I even think signwarehouse dupped me once with some diamond plate vinyl.

There are some great deals on eBay for smaller scraps that you may be able to use. Have not seen one of those cutters before.

Zillabaubles

Timothy Davis said:
I am not 100% sure but today while I was at Fellers I asked them if they could cut down a 4x6 sheet of Camoclad(SP) and they could so I am guessing they are able to do what you need as well.

The other idea would be to buy 24" rolls of Oracal and look on the back. There is a pretty strait line that runs right near the middle. If you are quick and steady you can trim it down yourself if you have to.

Thank you so much! I just called them and they are sending out a catalog to Heather. The woman I spoke with {Amy?} was really helpful. I am so glad that I posted today. :)

Zillabaubles

Timothy Davis said:
You know I think she is the one who I placed my order with today.

She was great. I was so frustrated and ready to throw in the towel and she just had so much information and ideas that I am getting excited again. I think the catalog is really going to help to be able to see everything in one place kwim?

Timothy Davis

For simple decals I use Oracal 651. Easy to weed and is pretty cheap when you buy 24"x30' rolls.

I would get a roll of white and cut, cut, and cut some more till you get the hang of it. It is cheap and works for everything.

For weeding I use the wooden bubble poppers. I have about 10 of them now. Thay have a sharp point on one end and a nice angled round edge on the other.

Zillabaubles

Timothy Davis said:
For simple decals I use Oracal 651. Easy to weed and is pretty cheap when you buy 24"x30' rolls.

I would get a roll of white and cut, cut, and cut some more till you get the hang of it. It is cheap and works for everything.

For weeding I use the wooden bubble poppers. I have about 10 of them now. Thay have a sharp point on one end and a nice angled round edge on the other.

LOL OK, couple of questions. First what is Oracal 651, is it a company brand name?

Weeding...obviously not what I'm thinking..what exactly is weeding?

On that train...wooden bubble poppers? Splain please?

Flame

oh boy... you got a lot to learn.

Oh well. Everyone does at one point in time.

Oracal 651, number one selling vinyl in america. Oracal is the brand (technically Orafol), 651 is the product name. It's a okay quality intermediate vinyl that's great as a general purpose material. 15" material is about a $1 a yard, and that's hard to beat!

Hope that helps. Many suppliers stock the stuff.

Oh yeah, and weeding is the process of removing the excess vinyl you won't need from the backing paper. The plotter cuts the shapes and then you "weed" out what you don't want applied.

Zillabaubles

Flame Master said:
oh boy... you got a lot to learn.

Oh well. Everyone does at one point in time.

Oracal 651, number one selling vinyl in america. Oracal is the brand (technically Orafol), 651 is the product name. It's a okay quality intermediate vinyl that's great as a general purpose material. 15" material is about a $1 a yard, and that's hard to beat!

Hope that helps. Many suppliers stock the stuff.

Oh yeah I have more than a lot to learn. My sister told me about using vinyl lettering on walls and I was intrigued by the idea and looked into it a bit more. I didn't quite realize what I'd gotten myself into until she started playing around with it and had a few simple questions that I had zero idea what the answer was. I really do thank you for taking the time to put up with my super {stupid} newbie questions.

ChiknNutz

Weeding is the act of removing the excess vinyl that has been cut to reveal the graphic you intend to mask (with transfer tape) and apply to your substrate (i.e. MDO plywood or Coroplast or aluminum or...).

Wooden bubble poppers...AKA air release tools, several places carry these and they are merely wooden dowels with needles in the ends...used to "pop" any bubbles you get in the vinyl after application. You don't want to use a knife to pop them as it will likely split over time. The round hole will nearly disappear and not open up like a slit will. On the opposite end of the needle some have (like the wooden ones do) a 45 degree tapered flat spot that allows you to "burnish" the vinyl (to lay flat) where you might get a small wrinkle or other anomoly.

'Nuf said?

Heather

For the record, I know what Oracal is and I know what 651 is too. And I know what weeding is...that about sums it up. But evidently I know a tad bit more than my business partner and sibling, Jen. Hey you guys are great and I will be back tomorrow night after trick or treating with the kids, so that I can ask all of my stupid questions.

gcljlamb

Heather, the only stupid question is the one you don't ask. You've got to start somewhere and this site IMHO, is the best for doing so. I know this may sound a little simplistic but...Signs 101 is the difference between not knowing and knowing; and for the most part, the site is a reflection of the man who runs it, Fred Weiss.

He's been in the business a long time with a wealth of experience in inumerable facets of the industry; to me, it would normally be a big deal that the administrator of a site would answer so many posts; I would think it'd be like most sites where the administrator stays out of the posts and just ensures everything runs smooth, monitoring any tense situations and shutting threads down that need to be, but not responding much. I mean, Fred has a business to run on top of the time he puts in on Signs 101. But he is a very active administrator. In the nearly 2 years I've been here, I've seen him just about everywhere on the site, actively answering questions, handling situations; and helping people new to the industry just like you and me. He's the main reason why this site kicks butt!

All in all, like I said, if you can put up with a little ribbing now and then, you'll learn everything you wanted/didn't want to know about the visual marketing business right here.

So ask away,

George