• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

1200 DPI on L360?

Tldr

I cant figure out how to get the 1200 to pop up on the rip. Using caldera 10.2. Is there a certain number of passes needed for 1200? Certain media?

I cant figure out how to get the 1200 to pop up on the rip. Using caldera 10.2. Is there a certain number of passes needed for 1200? Certain media?

The HP Latex 300 Series printers (as well as 500 Series) always print at 1200 dpi in the carriage scan direction, regardless of the pass count being used. When printing at > 16 pass, the printer is printing at 1200x1200 dpi. Below that pass count, the printer is printing at 600 dpi in the media movement direction (1200x600=720,000 addressable locations per square inch).

Note that this will not be referenced in the RIP, as the RIP is generating a rendered raster file at a given resolution, and the printer is converting the raster data into dots (DPI) at the resolution based on the pass count. This is because the Latex 300 Series are Contone printers.

Hotspur

18 pass & 1200dpi rip resolution

I guess we need to be clear if we are referencing the printer or rip resolutions here.

The 1200dpi rip resolution is only available with 18 pass profiles - lower or higher and you have a max of 600dpi - if you run a profile at any other pass rate the rip will show you different rip resolutions at 150, 300 and 600 dpi - you only get to see the 1200dpi resolution referenced in the rip if the profile is at 18 pass - this is the same with the 500s.

For the record I can't see any difference using 1200 vs 600 rip resolution at normal viewing distances so 18 pass profiles for normal substrates is just a waste of productivity imho.