• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help 1324x firmware downgrade possible?

Keevan

Mutoh 1324x

I just updated the firmware from 3.01 to 3.04 heater from 1.22 to 1.24

Updates were successful but when i restarted the machine in normal mode it gave the error.

Attachments

• 1324x error.jpeg
    1324x error.jpeg
    44.2 KB · Views: 291

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I don't have 100% confirmation on this yet but I am pretty sure the new heater firmware for the 1324 series prevents you from using anything other than 220mL cartridges. The reason being that the 1324 series never actually supported the 440mL size even though a lot of customers still used them in the machine. This created the problem of the cartridges not completely emptying and customers would get mad at Mutoh and ask for new smart cards so they could finish their cartridges. Mutoh got frustrated because the manual and all of the specs explicitly say you can't use the 440mL size in that machine so they have updated the heater firmware to stop customers from doing that so they stop getting angry calls. It sounds weird but the chip that decrypts the ink smart cards is on the heater junction board and that's why the heater firmware affects the inks.

Last edited:

Keevan

I don't have 100% confirmation on this yet but I am pretty sure the new heater firmware for the 1324 series prevents you from using anything other than 220mL cartridges. The reason being that the 1324 series never actually supported the 440mL size even though a lot of customers still used them in the machine. This created the problem of the cartridges not completely emptying and customers would get mad at Mutoh and ask for new smart cards so they could finish their cartridges. Mutoh got frustrated because the manual and all of the specs explicitly say you can't use the 440mL size in that machine so they have updated the heater firmware to stop customers from doing that so they stop getting angry calls It sounds weird but the chip that decrypts the ink smart cards is on the heater junction board and that's why the heater firmware affects the inks.
Thanks for your response. so basically i've screwed myself royally here... is there any way to downgrade the firmware?

AF

That is a cheap shot by Mutoh to not warn about the change to firmware, essentially negating a rather large investment in ink for some people.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Just keep in mind there might be something completely different going on and I am just speculating. As far as downgrading the firmware, I have never tried on a Mutoh. Some manufacturers make it impossible to go backwards.

Keevan

Confirmed that it is Mutoh blocking the 440ml.

Downgrade seems impossible....

Attachments

• 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    17.8 KB · Views: 238
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    141 KB · Views: 245
  • mutoh 304.jpeg
    mutoh 304.jpeg
    140 KB · Views: 262

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
That is a cheap shot by Mutoh to not warn about the change to firmware, essentially negating a rather large investment in ink for some people.

I just confirmed with Mutoh that the new firmware does prevent the 440mL cartridges. They did say that if you want to upgrade the firmware and not lose all of that ink, they will send out a set of 220mL cards so you can use up the final amounts of ink left in the cartridges. You just have to ask your dealer to put in the request. They will only do it one time per serial number. They changed the firmware because they were having to send out too many cards to people using the wrong inks.

Keevan

I just confirmed with Mutoh that the new firmware does prevent the 440mL cartridges. They did say that if you want to upgrade the firmware and not lose all of that ink, they will send out a set of 220mL cards so you can use up the final amounts of ink left in the cartridges. You just have to ask your dealer to put in the request. They will only do it one time per serial number. They changed the firmware because they were having to send out too many cards to people using the wrong inks.
Thanks, I already contacted my dealer so hopefully they will respond and send me the cards to be able to use out my inks. 3 of the 440's i have in the printer now are above 90% full.

I found this out the hard way also. I updated a customers 1324X firmware and received the error from hell. Luckily I had a spare set of 220 cards with me. I did give the customer the option of upgrading to the 1 liter Hi Capacity system from Mutoh. This this is supported and will save money in the long run. The only negative would be if you are a low volume user.

Keevan

Hi, just wanted to update that Mutoh did send me 8 220ml cards to use up all my ink. I also decided to unlock the machine after that and was successful in doing so. Bulk ink savings yay!