• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

17" wide printer

Zardoz_Canada

Not exacly 'sign' type stuff but I figure a lot of you branch out your services to regular paper printing.

Any recommendations on 17" wide inkjet printers. I forsee the ability to print out large advertisments for inserts in the paper, menus for restaurants, etc.

I figure that if a guy used a bulk continuous ink system you could keep the cost down and be able to make a resonable profit.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations,

Zardoz

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
The Epson 1280 with a bulk ink system prints up to 13" wide paper and a max length of 44". The bulk ink cuts your cost down to 15% to 20% of cartridge ink prices. The printer will also do edge to edge photo quality printing.

I have the smaller Epson R320 with bulk ink and love it.

Barry

The Canon line of printers are quite a bit faster than the Epson and HP's... I have not checked prices on their 13x19 printers lately, but they should be competitive and also have the bulk systems... I actually have 2 of them and they are great printers.

ENTDesign

I am partial to Epson inkjets. One important question to answer up front is if your prints will need to be waterproof. Hate to have a menu bleed all over a customer with wet fingers. Epson does make an inkset that is pigmented and dries waterproof. Not sure about HP, but you should check. Not to be grinchy, but your life will not be long enough to run newspaper inserts off an inkjet printer, they print way too slow at too high a cost compared to other methods for higher volumes.

skyhigh

ENTDesign said:
I am partial to Epson inkjets. One important question to answer up front is if your prints will need to be waterproof. Hate to have a menu bleed all over a customer with wet fingers. Epson does make an inkset that is pigmented and dries waterproof. Not sure about HP, but you should check. Not to be grinchy, but your life will not be long enough to run newspaper inserts off an inkjet printer, they print way too slow at too high a cost compared to other methods for higher volumes.

I have to agree...... if your thinking about high volume, go see an offset press printer. I used to be in the printing business and there is just no comparison.

ENTDesign

To my knowledge, not on the regular vinyl, although I think I'll try a piece to see for sure. I have tried to print on clear decal stock made for ink jet printers with my 2000P, but the ink tracked since it didn't dry fast enough, and I expect the same will be true of the vinyl. Some brands of media work better than others, a bit of a crap shoot.