• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

2nd Surface Graphics...

x2chris7x

We've been asked to print a couple jobs for another sign company... They want them to be printed on clear (Reversed) and then printed again on translucent white (Reversed). I assume they will apply the clear to the back side of the panel, and then apply the translucent white over the clear. As we have never printed any 2nd surface graphics (only trans white applied to front of panel) should we print with double the ink like we normally would, or would a single pass on clear and a single pass on white be sufficient?

Hope this makes sense... Any info would be greatly appreciated

J Hill Designs

I'd say single - the addition of the print on translucent is for creating a 'double strike' effect only when lit, so that the color density appears the same as unlit

x2chris7x

Ok, so I have another question... Would you laminate the translucent white print? It will not be exposed to the elements, but just wondering if the bulbs would cause fading?

AaronSSsignsKC

When we print clear we use 3m 180cv3 profile on or hpl360 you will never get the richness of an opaque print obviously but multi striking will just make them look over saturated. As far as lam Most I wouldn't laminate the translucent because as you said its interior and will hold up just fine.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
I would ask what they are expecting before you quote it. They've specified the process so they obviously have something in mind. Adding the laminate will obviously raise the cost but it tends to make large pieces of cast vinyl easier to install. Also if you laminate one I would laminate both, otherwise the prints may stretch differently.

x2chris7x

Yes, the prints will be backlit. We have printed translucent for this customer before... Un-laminated... This is their way of trying to get a longer life out of the print. Tried to explain to them about LAMINATING the print to extend the life... But they insist on doing the second surface application.