• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

30" Cast Laminate

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
We use 30" gloss cast laminate over reflective but can't find any. 30" isn't available in all brands, we have checked Oracal, Arlon and 3M. Does anyone have another suggestion?

Notarealsignguy

It takes me every bit of a year to run through a roll of reflective, I didn't really want to chop down a roll if I could avoid it.

victor bogdanov

How do you square it up and get a blade all the way through the roll? Even my 18" big saw won't cut it due to the motor hanging down 2" from the center.
But a fresh blade on a miter saw definitely makes a clean enough cut surprisingly.

I use this 12" sliding miter saw. Cuts almost though whole rolls in one pass but then I have to rotate the roll a bit to finish the cut. Have cut thousands of rolls for various reasons.

thumbnail (4).jpg

signheremd

It takes me every bit of a year to run through a roll of reflective, I didn't really want to chop down a roll if I could avoid it.
If that is the case, sounds like the runs are not that long. Roll out the lamination and trim down to desired size. Save the other 24" to laminate other small things. That is what we do when we only have 54" in stock...

ikarasu

As mentioned grimco will cut it.

What material are you using? technically reflective glass bead isn't a cast...Maybe the vehicle wrap stuff is, but the other signage is made a different way and its not labeled a cast or a calendared (At least for 3M?) Not saying to use the cheapest overlam on it possible, but a good 5 year UV overlam is good enough for non vehicle grade reflective signage (Not traffic), But we use 8518 for stuff like vehicle grade reflective.
We use 8508 or equivlant on parking signage or simple decals.

Otherwise...Call Grimco and ask what they have in 30" for cast, unfortunatelly 30" Doesn't seem to be used so much these days - So getting a 60 cut down into 2X 30's, or a 54 into a 30/24 will likely be your only option. With suppliers still having supply issues, theyre mainly focusing on 54 + 60" rolls.

My advice would be get a 60" roll of brightline cut in half... probably be half the price of a 30" 8518 roll...and it'll still last 5 years. Unless it's for vehicles... then ignore and pray you can find some cast. Or if you're set on a cast and it's not vehicle grade and a thick overlam will work... 1170C is whats certified for traffic signage, so its in stock in most places that carry 3M. It is very thick though, so I wouldn't use it on anything but signage

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
how long is the print? I just produced some reflective vinyl graphics. We use the 54" laminate, but don't use the take up reel. Pull it out on the table and trim the excess off the sides

Notarealsignguy

As mentioned grimco will cut it.

What material are you using? technically reflective glass bead isn't a cast...Maybe the vehicle wrap stuff is, but the other signage is made a different way and its not labeled a cast or a calendared (At least for 3M?) Not saying to use the cheapest overlam on it possible, but a good 5 year UV overlam is good enough for non vehicle grade reflective signage (Not traffic), But we use 8518 for stuff like vehicle grade reflective.
We use 8508 or equivlant on parking signage or simple decals.

Otherwise...Call Grimco and ask what they have in 30" for cast, unfortunatelly 30" Doesn't seem to be used so much these days - So getting a 60 cut down into 2X 30's, or a 54 into a 30/24 will likely be your only option. With suppliers still having supply issues, theyre mainly focusing on 54 + 60" rolls.

My advice would be get a 60" roll of brightline cut in half... probably be half the price of a 30" 8518 roll...and it'll still last 5 years. Unless it's for vehicles... then ignore and pray you can find some cast. Or if you're set on a cast and it's not vehicle grade and a thick overlam will work... 1170C is whats certified for traffic signage, so its in stock in most places that carry 3M. It is very thick though, so I wouldn't use it on anything but signage
Usually 5650 and Nikkalite. I can stick calandared on it, I just thought it had to be cast. I have a roll of Oracal 215 in 30"
I called Grimco (painful), closest slitter is in Atlanta and they don't have a 60" roll of anything. As far as cutting 54" down, it's a PITA and pretty much everything we print is done with a takeup so those drops will end up getting trashed.

Last edited:

Notarealsignguy

how long is the print? I just produced some reflective vinyl graphics. We use the 54" laminate, but don't use the take up reel. Pull it out on the table and trim the excess off the sides
Sometimes it is a short run so I can use the end of a roll but it's usually 20-30'. We don't have a table where the laminator is either. The printer and laminator are in a seperate shop building so my lazy ass has to go carry the crap back and forth and I am trying to maintain my southern physique.

Notarealsignguy

Easy, just have two dummies stand by the takeup reel holding knives.
Wait, your laminator is in a different building than the printer? Do I need to get Stacey over here to set you straight? Sheesh
Who? You and Tex? When we're done you can buy me lunch
The printer and laminator are in the same building. Finishing is done in the other

jfiscus

Rap Master
Can you locate a 36" roll of cast laminate? I know we have a couple here still but haven't ordered any more recently as we can no longer reliably get 36" rolls of 180c.
That would be a lot easier to cut down and cheaper than a 60".