• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

315 latex rich black?

CKCUSTOMKC

Hey all still learning a lot about my printer I had a quick question for those of you who use a latex printer. What is good set up for a rich black CMYK in illustrator for a layex 315? Currently I'm using a 75/100/100/100, but I know that uses a lot of ink. Any suggestions?

rjssigns

Not latex but for the digital press, flatbed and roll to roll in the lab we use 30/30/30/100. Otherwise known as superhero black.
It would be a good place to start.
Proper profile for the media is a big help.

dypinc

Hey all still learning a lot about my printer I had a quick question for those of you who use a latex printer. What is good set up for a rich black CMYK in illustrator for a layex 315? Currently I'm using a 75/100/100/100, but I know that uses a lot of ink. Any suggestions?
Best blacks for Latex is to use 100% printer output black. The best way to achieve that from the input files is to use 100% black in your file and the make sure the RIP is set to Preserve Pure Black use replace color and set it to 100K only. If the black is good enough in your printer calibration target that is what you will get.

The problem specific to Latex ink technology is that if the ink density is to high you will get a muddy look. That is why with the 300 series and beyond there is a ink density setting inn the media presets. If you set a rich black in your input file and CM it through the RIP it is going send CMYK output values that will be knocked down by the ink density in you media preset. In all my testing I could not achieve as good a looking black using rich black setting whether in the input file or even setting rich black output values as just printing pure black only.

Ronny Axelsson

FWIW, I do not see any difference between a 100 K black and a 40, 40, 40, 100 black when printed on my HP 365.
Guess the printer takes care of it and produces a good looking black.

Why not make a test file, Ckapex, to see what looks best and if there is any difference at all?

Last edited:

RandyDe

FWIW, I do not see any difference between a 100 K black and a 40, 40, 40, 100 black when printed on my HP 365.
Guess the printer takes care of it and produces a good looking black.

Why not make a test file, Ckapex, to see what looks best and if there is any difference at all?
Agreed. We do the same and test different mixes and pick the one that looks the best. We have also noticed that on different print materials we sometimes use different mixes of rich K.