• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

3165RA & Contour Cutting

J

john1

Hey guys, I have been using Concept 203 vinyl in place of 3651 for a year since i was having issues with the grey 3651 adhesive gluing the contour cutting together making it a pain to weed.

My question is, I have a possible 2x8' sign order coming up (6) and am looking for something with air release like 3165RA to make mounting easier.

My business is so small that i can't really justify RA vinyl just for jobs like this which don't come along much and another for my printed 'stickers" i do in bulk runs.

Has anyone had the gluing together issues with 3165RA that i have seen in the past with the 3651 since they both have grey adhesives?

Thanks so much!

TresL

I use the 3165RA gloss w/210 overlam a lot, no issues so far.
Mainly for large contour cut trailer decals

Malkin

Yeah I find that any RA type vinyl weeds poorly, probably due to the adhesive in the channels not being fully cut. It only is an issue on intricate stuff. Simple shape cut decals are ok.

Laminate does seem to help some also

I'm with TresL, we use 3165RA for almost everything.... It never fails if you print something large and the customer will realize they can't install it.. We tell them how hard it is and charge accordingly... My son and I can stick a 4x 8 bubble free in less than a minute..

SignLogic

What type of cutters are you using and having problems with 3165RA? I've found that Roland print/cut machines have problems cutting lammed materials in general. But have over come this buy upgrading to a graphtec with contour cutting.

JAMESGANGRACING

I use 3165ra a lot , and yes with my roland sp540v the small cuts are a pain with any laminated product. The larger smoother cuts are just fine. I have found that with 3165ra and 210 185 pressure works the best.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
For what it's worth.... you say you can't afford RA vinyls for this kinda job, but you can afford many setbacks and catastrophes instead which probably add up to more cost in the long run.

One of my oldest and dearest mottos is.... There's never time to do it right, but there's always time to do it over.

Here's my logic. The RA prints better, goes down better and is easy and inexpensive for any job that comes down the pike... so why screw with something that is 13¢ less ?? Don't stock the real cheap stuff and you won't be tempted to use it. In our shop, the biggest cost is time. The less we have to deal with problems, the more time I save. The more time I save, the faster I can go home and be with my wife or do the things that the saving of money has permitted me to do.

Get what works and stop toying around with the cheap crap. You'll save yourself money and headaches.

gnatt66

i love 3165ra. in versaworks i slow down the cut to 15 and put the force at 190 and it CC's perfect with 210 lam.

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
We've had really great luck both printing, laminating and cutting the 3m IJ 35 C. We know its a bit shorter span that the 3651...but clients seem to get the warm and fuzzy feeling knowing its 3M. Prints really well on my Vuteks and Roland. Clients love to install it....its less expensive than the RA....and comes in a Matte or Gloss. When we're running hot and heavy during the summer...I buy quite a bit of the IJ 35.

Sticky Signs

Shouldn't be a problem but you can always turn the heat off. Helps prevent the glue from melting back into itself so to speak.