• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

330 Take up reel Wrinkles

hdjames

So we are running take up reel with phototex & we keep getting wrinkles in the backing of material. It looks like the backing & material bubble away from eachother. We attached a photo. Just wondering if there are best practices with take up reel or some way to correct this issue. Thanks everyone

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 233
Are you winding up with print on outside or print on inside. Keep it rolled with the print facing out. That way your not changing the way the material is rolled up.

We have had this happen on a reflective material where we rolled it with the print on inside and because you are rolling against the original direction it didn't like it and would separate. Other option is the roll might be too tight. Sometimes we load a half roll onto the take up and then take up on top of that. That way the roll doesn't have to be wrapped up really tight on a empty roll.

hdjames

Thanks Big Easy

We are winding print facing outwards. We think it could be a temperature issue that is causing the bubbling possible

We are winding print facing outwards. We think it could be a temperature issue that is causing the bubbling possible

You could be using the too much heat that is true. Where did the profile come from. Did you try to do it yourself. And no they are not all the same. 360 reels are metal bars about the size of the cores. The 330 comes with small bars with weird caps on the end. kind of like the take up for 25500.

hdjames

You could be using the too much heat that is true. Where did the profile come from. Did you try to do it yourself. And no they are not all the same. 360 reels are metal bars about the size of the cores. The 330 comes with small bars with weird caps on the end. kind of like the take up for 25500.

So we are using HP Matte Adhesive Vinyl it's the profile that the Phototex recommends. Curing temp is set at 200

Have you tried to do a print test with the saturation page. Try it out. Maybe your shop is less humid or hotter then where they were testing it. That would mean you need less heat. 200 is pretty low though I would think you should be fine at that heat.

Is it possible the take up roll is just a little too small and so it is jamming into the take up reel. is it possible when you put on take up real you had skewed a little and it is trying to wind sideways and pushing into one side of the take up. I ask because it doesn't seem like a heating issue to me.

hdjames

Is it possible the take up roll is just a little too small and so it is jamming into the take up reel. is it possible when you put on take up real you had skewed a little and it is trying to wind sideways and pushing into one side of the take up. I ask because it doesn't seem like a heating issue to me.

Thanks Big Easy that is defiantly one of most likely causes. When we put media in there is no skew registering through Machine. There still could be skew less the 35. Don't know if this small of skew can be issue. Then how we would correct the issue to make sure skew is perfect.

Thanks Big Easy that is defiantly one of most likely causes. When we put media in there is no skew registering through Machine. There still could be skew less the 35. Don't know if this small of skew can be issue. Then how we would correct the issue to make sure skew is perfect.

I was referring to the skew when you attach to the take up reel. If you tape onto take up reel and it's not perfect it will try to roll the media to one side. This could cause your buckling. Your skew on the machine is different.

AF

We are using 42 inch roll
At that width you should use the plastic loop former. If you don't have it, order one. The guy who installed my 260 recommended not to use it and throw it away (which I didn't do), so it is possible your installer tossed it.

If you use the metal loop former with the narrow media it will cause terrible problems like you describe.

Photo Tex

So try printing without the take-up reel and see if the material tunnels - if it does then turn the heat down 10% and see if it is heat. If it only happens when using the take up reel then those other suggestions know allot about the machines more than I do. I also do not want you to waste material you purchased when learning about the material or machine so please send me an e-mail and we will send more material out to you tomorrow - walterjr@phototexgroup.com free!

hdjames

At that width you should use the plastic loop former. If you don't have it, order one. The guy who installed my 260 recommended not to use it and throw it away (which I didn't do), so it is possible your installer tossed it.

If you use the metal loop former with the narrow media it will cause terrible problems like you describe.

Thank AF I don't believe or installer ever gave us loop former do you have a picture of one by chance?

Another thing the 360 does not have is a loop former. It has a tension bar that connects to spring arms on either side. Even pressure all the way across.