• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

350GT Canon Arizona - Z Axis Error / Looking for a Tech

Ryan Quintana

Hello, I currently own and operate a OCE Arizona 350GT. I have some issues with a Z Axis error, it has a "buzz" and will not initialize to start the machine. Z head no longer moves up or down because of this. We have manually turned the motors and it will lower it self during initialization after this but it will not raise itself. I tried to put in a service tech with Canon as of July last year they don't want to come repair / inspect being that my town of Grand Junction, CO (which has an airport) is unaccessable to them. Does anyone in this group service or has repaired this machine be willing to make a service call to my shop?

LINK TO PROBLEM-

OCE Arizona 350GT. We purchased the printer from an auction and it has been successful in printing but proper maintenance is required. I will list out our current issues.
SERIAL#2718310
Company Name: ECS Corporation
161 Colt Ct, Grand Junction CO 81503
Ryan Quintana

BIGGEST PRIMARY ISSUE-
-During Initialization the Z Axis has a "buzz" and will not initialize to start the machine. Z head no longer moves up or down because of this. We have manually turned the motors and it will lower it self during initialization after this but it will not raise itself.

OTHER KNOWN ISSUES
-The metal bed has some vacuum issues and we believe that new seal on the vacuum table is required or needs some level adjusting as it seems to have some higher or lower areas.
-Print Head Adjustment for print quality
-Our degasser module has a crack in it and has been sealed but we are not sure of the health and status of them thus far

Attachments

• IMG-0096.jpg
    IMG-0096.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 572
  • IMG-0097.jpg
    IMG-0097.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 213
  • IMG-0098.jpg
    IMG-0098.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 252
  • IMG-0099.jpg
    IMG-0099.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 292
Last edited:

AlsEU

Seems that your printer requires complete installation including levelling and carriage angle adjustment. It's very important to keep the carriage levelled during the manual raising/lowering, otherwise, it becomes tilted, firmware detects a difference between values read from both motor encoders and stops the movement.

Ryan Quintana

Seems that your printer requires complete installation including levelling and carriage angle adjustment. It's very important to keep the carriage levelled during the manual raising/lowering, otherwise, it becomes tilted, firmware detects a difference between values read from both motor encoders and stops the movement.
Most likely it does, we installed it without a tech and ran it for some months before the error. Do you do technician work on these printers in the US?

AlsEU

Nope, I'm based in Europe, so I guess it would be cheaper to search for a technician in the US :) . Try to call Fujifilm, their Acuity flatbeds are exactly the same printers as Arizonas, so they should know how to deal with your printer. The only problem with them may be the SDS key (service key) - Fujifilm's keys don't work with Oce printers.

Peter1313

1. First you need to see if the motorcycles are going
2. Maybe the crossed head can be easily adjusted with the screws in the photo
3. Defective shaft housing

Ryan Quintana

1. First you need to see if the motorcycles are going
2. Maybe the crossed head can be easily adjusted with the screws in the photo
3. Defective shaft housing
Thanks Peter1313 I am still actively working finding a solution to this machine-
I have manually turned the screws evenly to move the print head up it will, but once you start it moves the head down then brings the error back. I only tried this because of the error no reason to ever do it prior. Not sure about tyhe shaft housing, I want to dismantle myself and check but am afraid to mess up the machine especcially without a technicians manual or technician.

AlsEU

I have manually turned the screws evenly to move the print head up it will, but once you start it moves the head down then brings the error back. I only tried this because of the error no reason to ever do it prior. Not sure about tyhe shaft housing, I want to dismantle myself and check but am afraid to mess up the machine especcially without a technicians manual or technician.
In theory (when the printer works properly) during the initialization printer should raise the carriage to the maximum, level it (on the basis of both encoders readings) and then lower toe carriage to the home position. If your printer makes an error during the initialization, that may suggest the following reasons for the problem:
- one of the Z-axis encoders is damaged
- one of the Z-axis motors is damaged
- one of the plastic elements (mounting bracket) connecting the Z-axis motor shaft with the carriage is damaged
- something is wrong with the Z-axis driver board (is there any chance that jumpers located on this board are in the wrong positions?)

Unfortunately, you would require the SDS key to enter the service part of the firmware and check readings from both encoders. The printer uses only them to verify the position of the carriage, if anything is wrong, an error appears (physical position doesn't matter, carriage may be perfectly levelled with different values on both encoders and that will create an error). I'm afraid, that without the SDS it will be difficult to diagnose the error.

Ryan Quintana

In theory (when the printer works properly) during the initialization printer should raise the carriage to the maximum, level it (on the basis of both encoders readings) and then lower toe carriage to the home position. If your printer makes an error during the initialization, that may suggest the following reasons for the problem:
- one of the Z-axis encoders is damaged
- one of the Z-axis motors is damaged
- one of the plastic elements (mounting bracket) connecting the Z-axis motor shaft with the carriage is damaged
- something is wrong with the Z-axis driver board (is there any chance that jumpers located on this board are in the wrong positions?)

Unfortunately, you would require the SDS key to enter the service part of the firmware and check readings from both encoders. The printer uses only them to verify the position of the carriage, if anything is wrong, an error appears (physical position doesn't matter, carriage may be perfectly levelled with different values on both encoders and that will create an error). I'm afraid, that without the SDS it will be difficult to diagnose the error.
Yes for over a year it did raise and lower the carriange. I need to hint down an SDS key then or a tech that will work on this printer...always looking and trying everyday. Canon just refuses to send a tech even though we are 4 hours away from each servicable area and have an airport. Thank you for this information

juststrummin

I have a 250GT and had a similar problem. Had to replace the encoder. Quick way to tell if the encoder is defective is remove the guard and look toward the back of the carriage on the left and right side just beyond the print heads is where the encoders are located. They should have an LED that glows RED. If they are not RED then you need a new encoder. You can order them from Mouser for $44 ea.

AlsEU

I have a 250GT and had a similar problem. Had to replace the encoder. Quick way to tell if the encoder is defective is remove the guard and look toward the back of the carriage on the left and right side just beyond the print heads is where the encoders are located. They should have an LED that glows RED. If they are not RED then you need a new encoder. You can order them from Mouser for $44 ea.
Wrong. The light on the encoder shows its status. It can be green, orange or red. Green means the encoder reads the strip correctly, orange means that the reading is at the edge of the accepted level and red means that the encoder read head cannot read the strip. The third option may be the result of the wrong distance between the head and the strip (should be around 0.9 mm), damaged strip or damaged read head. So if you have a red LED, you need to check a few things...

ToTo

Professional Support
There is no encoder present on 350. Just a light barrier reader for topmost/home. The rest is done by stepping motor. Most probably probably problem is the trailing data cable (firewire800), if u receive z-axis problems. Check logs for intensively increased link errors .

AlsEU

There is no encoder present on 350. Just a light barrier reader for topmost/home. The rest is done by stepping motor. Most probably probably problem is the trailing data cable (firewire800), if u receive z-axis problems. Check logs for intensively increased link errors .
Where is no encoder? In the Z-axis (carriage height)? Indeed - there are two encoders, but not linear. They are integrated with the Z-axis motors (located at the top of the motor). Each Z-axis motor has two cable connections - one is for the power (to the PBA Z-axis motor driver) and another one is the encoder (to the PBA carriage boards, connectors J103 (left) and J104 (right)). In the SDS it's possible to read values from each Z encoder. When the carriage is going up or down, values from both Z-axis encoders are compared and in case the difference is too big, a Z-axis error appears. Why values are different, is another story - it may be a damaged motor, damaged encoder, damaged plastic support on the Z-axis motor shaft, or damaged PBA carriage board (and it's not all...).

ChrisNZ

I had this exact issue on my 350GT 2 weeks ago. It is a faulty encoder. Attached image, as mentioned above the light should be red. Unplug + unscrew it and give it a good clean. Try swapping sides (there is one on each side of the carraige) to see if its the cable or the encoder. Mine was caused by a coolant leak dripping on the encoder, a clean with some iso + dry with low heat gun got it going again. I also ordered one from Digiprint, https://www.digiprint-supplies.com/en/arizona-250-gt-sensor-optical-z-axis

Attachments

• Encoder.JPG
    Encoder.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 162