• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

3651 over rivets?????

skyhigh

Typically I would insist on 3m180c to letter a riveted trailer, but I was forced to use 3651 (not my prints, only installing). The panels are 2.5ft x 12ft long.

Can I expect to have problems (down the road) with tenting over the rivets? Can I get away with using this product? Will the vinyl "tent" and get brittle?

:thankyou:

petepaz

i have done it
not the best but i haven't gotten any complaints...yet
customer didn't want to spend the money for the correct material

just let the customer know the possibility that it may tunnel and get brittle and put in writing that you are not responsible if that happens

Letterbox Mike

No, don't use it, yes it'll tent and get brittle. 3651 is somewhat more forgiving than some calendered vinyls but it's still far from ideal for rivets. Even 3551 will tent on rivets.

skyhigh

but I was forced to use 3651

Too late Mike. I'm just wondering how much of a problem this will be, in my future.

I spent quite a bit of time on the rivets (lots of pokes & heat....more pokes, more heat.....uggghh). The finished job looked pretty good, but it was very time consuming.

AUTO-FX

for what it's worth, ive done a bunch of trucks and trailers with the regular 651 , and yeah, it tents a little, but not so bad. i torch or blast with the heat gun at each rivet. no comebacks yet ( fingers crossed behind back ) . yes, inform the customer to CYA. the 651 is pretty rugged stuff, so what little tenting shows up doesnt seem to break open much.

Letterbox Mike

Oh, well, it's a tossup. If you post heat the living daylights out of it it may not come back to haunt you ever, or too bad, but it may too. More than likely you'll have some issues pop up though, honestly.

iSign

I would expect to see it failing faster... but that's what they aske for, so hopefully that is what they were told to expect.
i did it, and i've already had to do some repairs

skyhigh

Well, this isn't what my customer asked for, although I have to take the blame for the order (now for the rest of the story).

I place an order, and didn't specify what material I wanted. I only said that I wanted a good quality product, as this was for a good customer (I assumed 3m was what I would get. Choices are 3m or 3651) Perhaps I should have re-ordered, but instead I installed the 3651.

my bad