• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

3D rendering software

10sacer

Hello all,

We do a ton of lenticular displays all around the country and I am looking to find a program that will fairly easily allow us to provide a 3D rendered view of each side of a display to our clients so they can see the full effect of the art as a lenticular prior to installation. No complaints thus far, just trying to get ahead of the game and be a proactive service provider.

So, does anyone know of a program that we can use that will do something like take a single flat image and map it to a preset number of lenticular tiles and then allow the viewer to virtually move around to see the display in a variety of viewing angles.

I am sure something like this exists - but I am unaware of a product name or company to use.

Thanks,

Sean

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
This may not be the solution you're looking for but, you can make an animated GIF in Photoshop fairly easily. Might not give you the 3D look you're looking for but it will give customer a better idea on how the transition will look like.

JBurton

Signtologist
Sketchup is very easy to learn, you can set up 'walk throughs' of models you've made, though I'm not sure if you'll have to pay for that feature.
So, does anyone know of a program that we can use that will do something like take a single flat image and map it to a preset number of lenticular tiles
I think if you find that software, you'll find yourself doing fewer of these yourself, and more janky print shops pushing them out.
I'm curious, do you do anything more than split the image into panels and apply to opposite sides of fins? Like, do you distort the image to gain a straight on perspective from a given side?

10sacer

Sketchup is very easy to learn, you can set up 'walk throughs' of models you've made, though I'm not sure if you'll have to pay for that feature.

I think if you find that software, you'll find yourself doing fewer of these yourself, and more janky print shops pushing them out.
I'm curious, do you do anything more than split the image into panels and apply to opposite sides of fins? Like, do you distort the image to gain a straight on perspective from a given side?
No. We have tried that and it tends to make the distortion worse since there is really a small window of perfect viewing angle achievable - at least when there is text involved. We do both the fin type with a third static image viewed from straight on and the triangular "lens" type with only two messages on left and right.

JBurton

Signtologist
We have tried that and it tends to make the distortion worse since there is really a small window of perfect viewing angle achievable -
I'd imagined as much. Would work well for something like an art installation, with a 'stand here' floor graphic, but absolutely worthless for a passerby to see and perceive.

Evan Gillette

I was playing around with one in Autodesk Fusion with variable spacing to try to get the best viewing from 3 images (very basic graphics) and could probably figure out a way to drop the fil in once and have it "mapped" to each instance of the model. Rendering in fusion is pretty good too. Ill see if I can send a web viewer link.