• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

3M 8518 Laminate causing greenish color shift

TeamOutlaw

I am using a Roland SolJet Pro III XC-540 (ecosol) printer, and cold laminating printed films and discovering that my prints are color shifting after being laminated.

We print most often with 3M IJ180C & laminate with 3M 8518. The laminate appears to be adding a 'greenish' tint to EVERYTHING!?

For instance...print a nice gray color, laminate it & it will take on a greenish-gray look. Print a nice yellow, laminate it & it looks like a 'dirty' cat-crap yellow.

It changes some colors so significantly that we need to adjust the output to achieve the correct color after lamination.

Help? Advice?

4R Graphics

Some laminates are known to have a blueish tint to them and will cause the color shift you are seeing.

Try another brand or use an optically clear laminate.

the graphics co

I have had good luck with Avery products, just a thought. I hear oracal doesn't suffer the color shift either.

I got fed up with the green hue on the 3M laminates, optically clear isn't the right option either it is expensive and doesn't conform the way 8518/19/20 do. It is meant for window perf.

4R Graphics

I know a rep of a supplier who says that 8518 is more optically clear than Oracals 290 optically clear laminate. I have not verified this but if 8518 is shifting the color on your print then its not optically clear (or at least not to the standards that we want).

Bly

We use a lot of LG polymeric vinyl and lam and the lam will give a horrendous green cast over greys.
We created a "laminated" profile which solved the problem pretty much.

If you have the ability that's the way to go.

We use a lot of LG polymeric vinyl and lam and the lam will give a horrendous green cast over greys.
We created a "laminated" profile which solved the problem pretty much.

If you have the ability that's the way to go.

+ 1
Create two ICC profiles for the media, one without and the other with the laminate applied. Neutral (grays) and near neutrals (pastels etc) are the most likely to be affected by the color cast of the laminate. Measuring the ICC chart (only) through the laminate will correct for the cast that the laminate imparts.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
This is the only way we create our profiles. You have to scan the swatches in from the final product for it to be accurate. Scanning it in unlaminated gives you a profile for unlaminated. Laminated will almost always be different. And yeah.... 3M does give a greenish tint more than many others. We will use it if specified but for the most part we reccomend and use Oracal 290GF (optically clear cast).

+ 1
Create two ICC profiles for the media, one without and the other with the laminate applied. Neutral (grays) and near neutrals (pastels etc) are the most likely to be affected by the color cast of the laminate. Measuring the ICC chart (only) through the laminate will correct for the cast that the laminate imparts.

lbpalm

yep same thing here with 8519.
just did a full truck wrap, grays have shifted towards green and customer is not happy.
green shift was not apparent in our shop but is noticeable under sunlight.

I'm gonna look at Avery which seems to be more optically neutral than 3M by a long shot.
Avery white vinyls also seem to be brighter too.

ikarasu

Are you sure its your overlam? Bring an unprinted sample outside and see what it looks like.

greys are the worst color shifting colors out there. Walking through our shop... I can see it change 3 times. Our regular lights, our print room lights, and our UV blocked screen lights all cause it to be drastically different...then you go outside and it looks perfect.

I always fear printing greys for indoors because you never know what light source is nearby.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
Just some facts as I know them. Optically clear is more of a reference to the adhesive than the laminate. You will notice that all media considered optically clear comes on a plastic liner. The fogginess that you see when you laminate with non-optically clear laminate comes form the texture of the adhesive. The paper liner imparts a slight texture that never goes away because it doesn't touch anything and can't wet out. The optically clear laminate has the plastic liner that is smooth so the adhesive has a glass like texture.

I know a rep of a supplier who says that 8518 is more optically clear than Oracals 290 optically clear laminate. I have not verified this but if 8518 is shifting the color on your print then its not optically clear (or at least not to the standards that we want).

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
As I posted in ibpalms other thread, there are additives in all laminate, some more than others, that help block UV light and extend the life of the pigments. It has a slight yellow cast like shooting glasses to block UV. In my experience, 3M appears to have more of this than most other laminates.

Greys are notorious for doing this even without laminate. The difference between interior lighting and sunlight can cause a huge shift even without laminate and cloudy days are a whole other factor. We had a policy to get the customer to sign off on a proof printed on the actual media, laminated, and viewed outdoors.

Greys suck.

Last edited:

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
Optically clear may NOT have UV inhibitors in them. Jester is correct in saying the yellow tint is the inhibitor.

lbpalm

Are you sure its your overlam? Bring an unprinted sample outside and see what it looks like.

greys are the worst color shifting colors out there. Walking through our shop... I can see it change 3 times. Our regular lights, our print room lights, and our UV blocked screen lights all cause it to be drastically different...then you go outside and it looks perfect.

I always fear printing greys for indoors because you never know what light source is nearby.

Yes, it is the lam.
Unlaminated it is a totally different color.
Live & Learn...

steve@nodinx

Hi, same problem here. We are trying to print some grey car wraps and it alway adds a green tint. We are using Avery 1460 and MP1105 products. Any suggestion? Also, is it possible ink to be part of the problem?