• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

3M 8518 surface issues

Steenland

Old Member
Just finished a large window graphics project using 3M 8518 on three different products (IJ8150, 40C-114R, and 70/30 perf, all printed with HP latex).

I was surprised and disappointed at how "soft" the surface of the 8518 is. It scuffs extremely easily, even if you just sweep the surface with a soft-bristled drafting brush. At the installation site, someone put some blue painter's tape onto one of the newly-installed panels, and when I took it off it left an impression in the laminate. Not adhesive residue, but a physical impression of the texture of the tape! I was able to make it disappear with a heat gun, but I can't expect my client to do that every time someone sticks a bit of tape on a window.

I'm very concerned about how these will hold up over the long term. Laminate is supposed to add durability and longevity, but these prints with 8518 seem more fragile than the unlaminated latex prints.

What's your experience? Don't many of you use 8518 for vehicle wraps? How in the world does it hold up on a vehicle?

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Anytime we tape any brand cast laminate it leaves light adhesive impressions. Same deal with scratches except I see it with any type and brand of laminate. Keep the vinyl and squeegee as clean as you can. Go rub that squeegee all over your car and you will see it do the same thing to the clearcoat, it is what it is.

Steenland

Old Member
So this is characteristic of all (or most) cast laminates? I normally use calendared (since almost all my work is flat and temporary), and it just seems tougher than 8518.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
We typically use 3M 8519 - I've never noticed this happening. Post heating would take care of it though.

Asuma01

If you use a felt edged squeegee you can wet it down with a little soapy water or application fluid. It helps keep it from scuffing as much. Keep everything CLEAN.

Steenland

Old Member
If you use a felt edged squeegee you can wet it down with a little soapy water or application fluid. It helps keep it from scuffing as much. Keep everything CLEAN.
We applied all the prints directly to the glass with a laminator (it's a new construction project), and used felt squeegees and application fluid where we needed to. I'm more concerned about the long-term appearance. What if people tape things to the windows? Or if they have heavy-handed cleaning people?

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Post heating? With a heat gun?
Yes. Forgive me though - when I said that I forgot you are applying this to flat glass. I was thinking more vehicle wrap application. We post heat after installation - specifically the channels - but all over too. You can use a heat gun (gingerly) on what your doing though. to get out scuffs and scratches - and should take care of those tape marks too.