• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

3M HIPS

david6211

Anyone here ever cut high intensity material with their cutter? We have a Roland VS-540 that I am cutting everything with( HIPS, EC, vinyl, and engineering grade material). I have to cut 10" numbers for our marine day boards which I hate doing. I can get it to machine cut but then scoring them out just kills my hands.

jfiscus

Rap Master
Anyone here ever cut high intensity material with their cutter? We have a Roland VS-540 that I am cutting everything with( HIPS, EC, vinyl, and engineering grade material). I have to cut 10" numbers for our marine day boards which I hate doing. I can get it to machine cut but then scoring them out just kills my hands.
I hear that reflexite can be cut out, but 3M Diamond Grade cannot.

Starter

We cut HIP and DG on a frequent bases using a Graphtec 8000. We have to play with the pressure to get it dialed in properly and we go through a lot of cutter strips. HIP always seems to leave a lot of excess glue around the outside of the cut so we weed first then clean the excess glue off after it is applied to the substrate with a dry rag.
Some of the issues we have is the drift of the HIP due to the clear backer slipping under our pinch rollers. We slow down the plotter to help with this and or plot in smaller runs if we can. An 8 - 10 ft long plot is almost surely going waste material...at least for us.
Cutting HIP is definitely a pain in the @ss..