• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

3M IJ175 alternative?

ADVANCED DISPLAY

ADVANCED DISPLAY
Ok, so we use 3M IJ175 for most vehicle wraps and decals. My biggest customer has asked that I price out less expensive products comparable in quality.

We’ve used arlon SLX but I don’t think it’s good for smaller decals plus it’s not saving a ton.

anybody have experience with the 3M AND possibly another product that’s of equal quality and durability?

ikarasu

Most of the cost is In install -

On a bundle you can save what... $1-200 ? A full roll can get you 3-4 full wraps. So a net savings of $70-100 with markup.

Avery, Arlon, oracle - all are pretty equivalent though, you'll be fine with either brand if you stick to a named, reputable brand.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Punt the customer or just tell them you are not willing to sacrifice quality for price. Trying to win the lowest price race is not a race worth participating in or winning. 175 is already a very low priced cast vinyl.

ADVANCED DISPLAY

ADVANCED DISPLAY
Punt the customer or just tell them you are not willing to sacrifice quality for price. Trying to win the lowest price race is not a race worth participating in or winning. 175 is already a very low priced cast vinyl.
again, I'm not trying to win the lowest cost race, I'm just asking what, if anything, is out there that's comparable to the quality.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Ok, so we use 3M IJ175 for most vehicle wraps and decals. My biggest customer has asked that I price out less expensive products comparable in quality.

We’ve used arlon SLX but I don’t think it’s good for smaller decals plus it’s not saving a ton.

anybody have experience with the 3M AND possibly another product that’s of equal quality and durability?

You mentioned wraps and then smaller decals. Using a cast wrap film/laminate for smaller decals can be overkill if you're trying to keep costs down.

Could you stick to 3M IJ175 for the wraps then move to something like 3M 40C for smaller decals? We've been experimenting with 3M 40C + Arlon 3220 gloss (As opposed to our usual IJ180cv3+8518) for a more cost effective solution and so far it's been working well.
Otherwise for lots of our equipment decals we use General Formulations 210 HTAP + Arlon 3220 gloss. 210 HTAP is a high tack vinyl that prints/cuts really well and doesn't shrink much/at all. The only challenge I've found is finding a premask that will lift it for smaller shape cut decals. Still on the hunt for a solution for that.

ADVANCED DISPLAY

ADVANCED DISPLAY
You mentioned wraps and then smaller decals. Using a cast wrap film/laminate for smaller decals can be overkill if you're trying to keep costs down.

Could you stick to 3M IJ175 for the wraps then move to something like 3M 40C for smaller decals? We've been experimenting with 3M 40C + Arlon 3220 gloss (As opposed to our usual IJ180cv3+8518) for a more cost effective solution and so far it's been working well.
Otherwise for lots of our equipment decals we use General Formulations 210 HTAP + Arlon 3220 gloss. 210 HTAP is a high tack vinyl that prints/cuts really well and doesn't shrink much/at all. The only challenge I've found is finding a premask that will lift it for smaller shape cut decals. Still on the hunt for a solution for that.
so, we currently use 3M cal. For less expensive options, with an overlam if need-be. That was the first option I was going to float to them. Just don’t have much experience with other brands and I thought I’d get input.

signheremd

For decals wrap vinyl is not so good, but those with Rapid Air/Air release work great. We use Avery MPI1105 EZ for decals or Oracal 3951RA. For Wraps, Avery MPI 1005 EZRS, Oracal 3951 Pro Slide, Arlon SLX+ all work well. For laminate our favorite is OraGuard 290, though it is not inexpensive. A less expensive option is Grimco's Briteline Wrap Cast Overlaminate - think 3M 8518.

JBurton

Signtologist
SLX is really what you described, slightly cheaper, pretty equivalent, cost savings is going with a 3270 lam instead of 3220 (or whatever their high end lam part number is) if you aren't doing compound curves and the like, which ij175 is not rated for either.
What products is he asking about reducing pricing on? Like wraps or like take home decals and such?

ADVANCED DISPLAY

ADVANCED DISPLAY
SLX is really what you described, slightly cheaper, pretty equivalent, cost savings is going with a 3270 lam instead of 3220 (or whatever their high end lam part number is) if you aren't doing compound curves and the like, which ij175 is not rated for either.
What products is he asking about reducing pricing on? Like wraps or like take home decals and such?
So, they get decals they have their guys at the shop put on, the biggest digital print we currently do on 3m with the overlam is like 2ft wide, 4 inches tall. Some of them occasionally go over rivets but very rarely.

I was planning on suggesting the 3M calendered we use that’s cheaper for them and still 3 year rated minimum.

They mentioned they don’t hear about decals once the fleet vehicles leave the shop, and I suggested maybe it’s because my decals are the longest lasting thing on the vehicles. They seemed to understand but we’ll see.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
IJ40 or Oracal 3551. We have been having issues with IJ40C. Substance just came out with a low initial tack vinyl that they say is in the IJ40 arena. We have had good luck with their 3755. Having a million different materials is a real production killer. We have narrowed it to substance, IJ40/3551 with cast laminate or SLX+ with cast laminate. Pick your poison, I'm not swapping rolls of material all day long.

JBurton

Signtologist
I sell masked contour cut graphics from ij35c paired with arlon 3420 all day long to a construction joint with a fleet of vehicles in town. I keep telling them to let me know if they have any issues, that the material isn't ideal for vehicle graphics, but they really like the price and pushed back pretty hard when I started to steer them to something cast. At the end of the day they may be wrecking paint on their retired vehicles to get these off, but nobody seems to care, and they're happy with the price.