• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

3M IJ180 delaminating on contoured areas?

Aelin

Has anyone else been running into problems with 3M IJ180 with 8518 lam delaminating?

I thought 3M had fixed this on latex and haven’t had any issues for years, but all of the sudden a few wraps are delaminating in contoured areas. It doesn’t seem to be happening on flat installs, but anything that is slightly curved has the laminate apparently flaking off.

Anyone else seen anything like this?
For reference we use an HP latex 360.

Also these areas commonly come up if the vinyl is stretched into the contour, but I know for a fact these were worked into the contour, not stretched. I’m just quite confused how this could happen when there is no stretch??

Attachments

• 2A5BCD75-9033-4524-893B-0D1A5795C162.jpeg
    2A5BCD75-9033-4524-893B-0D1A5795C162.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 466
  • AD6E14F7-5816-4795-A03F-BEFC6444E142.jpeg
    AD6E14F7-5816-4795-A03F-BEFC6444E142.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 282

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Probably not what you want to hear, but it looks like it's failing due to install.

Starting behind the vinyl then dries up and cracks....like all channel failures.

I don't have any experience with latex and its quirks with laminates but that's what it looks like to me. (And trust me I've done installs where I thought it was pushed in 100% and still eventually had failures with Ij180cv3)

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
You can see the gray adhered still. I have also done jobs where I thought I walked the material in but get a few mins farther along and see the spot tenting

Precision

Looks like it may have been damaged at install. It's a pretty deep tuck. Also the lack of care (pretty dirty) doesn't help.

Then again what do I know?

balstestrat

Problem Solver
I'm not saying anything about what happened there but you only have few choices to "fix" the real ink delamination.
Either lower your ink limits (no, more heat and less optimizer wont help you) or upgrade to new models where you can disable the scratch protection (overcoat).

Last edited: