• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

3M IJ180 vs 40c

Signscorp

Does anyone use IJ180 for their wall wraps often? I know it's high quality, but we're finding the vinyl stretches too much and begins to sag when we install. The stretch becomes uneven and my seams stop lining up nicely.

What are we missing here?

40c works great because it really doesn't stretch

jfiscus

Rap Master
We use 180c here for the longevity. Don't have much issue with stretch/seams but it has always been our go-to for most all projects so the installers know it well.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
We use IJ40 on them usually. I don't know how you install the panels but it helps to only pull a bit of backer off at a time as you work your way down. Pulling too much off will let it stretch.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
We generally use IJ40 - but we use IJ180 when there is a lot of texture on the wall. I'm unaware of any issues with either stretching. Are you laminating it?

Signscorp

Interesting seeing all this 40C. You'd think 3m would have actually designed it for what we all use it for!

That's interesting on the leaving the backing paper on part. I haven't been out in the field seeing what the guys are doing for a while on these jobs.

We are laminating both. So the common theme seems to be backing paper.

zillion29

We used to use IJ180 exclusively, but switched to IJ40 because of the cost difference. The majority of our stuff is still IJ40 because we've had good luck with it. But it has 2 noticeable drawbacks - 1) it isn't white. When you put 180 and 40 next to each other, 40 looks almost 10% darker. 2) IJ40 doesn't like anything but horizontal and vertical. It won't ever stretch or peel on a flat surface indoor or outdoor. But you put it in a corner or over a rivet or around a seam in van and it won't stay put for even 2 hours.