• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

3M IJ180c Issue

I had to do a fix to a job I did back in September today, 8 months later. The truck is a band new Chevy Silverado with vinyl (3mIJ180c)all over. The issue that arose was in 3 select spots a small area of the laminate chipped away from the vinyl. Pictured was the worst largest spot that was about the size of a pencil eraser. My customer is from NY close to the Canadian border where they do have harsh winters and the truck is used for hunting purposes so I filthy dirty from time to time..

What would cause an issue such as this?

Could it be the way the vehicle is being cleaned. Possibly using to harsh of a detergent or to high of a power pressure washer? Or an issue with not cleaning the vehicle enough.

I'm a strict believer of allowing the printed vinyl to properly out-gas AT LEAST 24 hours prior to lamination. I did 3 or 4 other jobs from this same roll of vinyl with no issues.

Any input would be helpful. I have never had an issue with 3m products.

Attachments

• 20150518_163722.jpg
    20150518_163722.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 83

J Hill Designs

harsh winters, hunting so filthy, I would say ANYTHING could have happened - a tree branch snagged it, a rock got thrown at it, etc

I wouldn't put it in the 'your fault' category at all