• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

3M IJ280?

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Is this film out? Has anyone had a chance to test-drive it yet?
I just got a push notice to come to Las Vegas to see it in person.
From the spec sheet, it has a new v4 air-channel glue system and a 10yr 'service' life.
Sounds too good to be true so I'm thinking they will want about $2k per roll.

jfiscus

Rap Master
All of our reps have been talking about it for a while now, I keep telling them to get us a roll to play with and we'll think about it, but until we put it through all of its paces and see what our installers think - we're just going to stick with our tried and true vinyls.

Think that's pricey? Wait till you hear how much a roll of their new "super laminate" is....

jfiscus

Rap Master
FWIW, I hate that they're calling it 280, which is one of our "staples" here at our shop. We order 3M/Gerber 280 series vinyl all the time.

ajr

After seeing 3M advertising I decided to give if a try. I laminated prints with new 3M 8428. We wrapped 2 Sprinters. Material is very easy to work with. Stretches easier then IJ175 or Avery 1105 ezrs with less heat. No problems with glue lines or glue spots. Easier to do deep channels and top corners. I think is a excellent wrap vinyl, but more difficult to install for less experienced installer. If you are very experienced you will like it.

CSOCSO

I don't hate paint, I just overlay it.
Im super happy with 175. Easy to install alone. Stretches enough.Not sure If I wanted a vinyl that stretches easier than 175. That's how you get wavy text close to the bottom of the doors and stuff.

ajr

I agree, we use ij175 every day. Is also faster to install then ij280. In some cases like car bumpers the ij280 might be a better choice.

Behrmon

Pr. Bear-Mon
Using it along with IJ180 still. We've found that on certain vehicles it allows us to run jobs horizontally that normally we would be hesitant to thus cutting the installation time down substantially, would love to see the price tag a tad lower tho.

heyskull

Sorry for coming in on this thread late.
I am from the UK and was about to order some of the new IJ280 material but it had been "Bigged Up" by our sales Rep, as previously we have used IJ180 and have been more than happy with it.
Over the last week on one of the UKs Facebook Sign & Wrap Chat Forums the issues of using IJ280 has come up.
Even to the point that one UK 3M Rep admitted that it is not completley 100% compatible with Solvent and Eco-Solvent machines.
This causes issues on adhesion and edges curling.
Beware they are testing their materials on us at our expense!!

jfiscus

Rap Master
They brought us a test roll. Our installers all tried it with the rep here watching. Their response was that it wasn't any better/quicker than 180, and definitely not worth the price difference.