• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

3M Lamination releasing from Latex Printed vinyl. Please Help

pistolcoulson

We are having trouble with laminate peeling off our printed vinyl. I will attach pictures for reference. We do have angles holding these signs in so friction could be an issue but we have done it this way for years and most have no problem. We are printing with HP LATEX 315 Printer onto 3M IJ180 Clear Vinyl and LAMINATING with 3M Scotchcal 8518. This is outside in the weather at all times. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

Attachments

• PEEL1.JPG
    PEEL1.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 302
  • PEEL2.JPG
    PEEL2.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 199
  • PEEL3.JPG
    PEEL3.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 216

DrunknMonk

slow down the lamination to 0.5 pmt, a bit of heat laminating helps to, but the main thing is to drop the profile ink limits to 90% or 100% at max, if its at 110% its to much, the anti scratch coating is in the ink, so more ink more anti scratch more de. lamination.

dasigndr

Premium Subscriber
we had the exact same issue with the exact 3M materials.

Attachments

• 20230818_102904.jpg
    20230818_102904.jpg
    957.5 KB · Views: 192
  • 20230818_102855.jpg
    20230818_102855.jpg
    374 KB · Views: 189

zillion29

This is the first time I'm hearing about the existence of anti-scratch latex ink. If that was the cause, wouldn't we see rampant IJ180/8020 fails? I've never seen anything like the OP's issue before.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
This is the first time I'm hearing about the existence of anti-scratch latex ink. If that was the cause, wouldn't we see rampant IJ180/8020 fails? I've never seen anything like the OP's issue before.
It's a known problem with 3rd gen inks. And it's not only one material, you can have the effect with any vinyl and laminate with high ink load. It's rare but can happen.

AKA TRE

I have had great success on my 335 with the HP polymeric overlaminate I use it for both printing and laminating clear and have had no issues so far.

Vortex37

Laminator Whisperer
Does whoever you buy your media from have a 3M rep you can talk to? I go directly to ours whenever I have an issue or question.

greysquirrel

peal 3 looks like contamination under the vinyl, no? what material is this vinyl being applied to? Peal 1 what density is that black? If its over 350% saturation, that could be the problem. Did you use a torch to set vinyl after applying? what profile are you using, printmode density pass heat etc?

Vortex37

Laminator Whisperer
I remembered we had a delamination once on 180 with 8519 and we believe it was due to our laminator which was dying, you had to crank the tension so hard that we think the lam stretched at a different rate than the vinyl and then when it shrunk again it started pulling away.

DrunknMonk

we have been having it since we first installed the 365, HP came to site, this is what you need to do to make it better, it won't fix it, but its better, (slow down the lamination to 0.5 pmt, a bit of heat laminating helps to, but the main thing is to drop the profile ink limits to 90% or 100% at max, if its at 110% its to much, the anti scratch coating is in the ink, so more ink more anti scratch more de. lamination.)