• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

3m LX480MC or IJ8624 Alternatives?

My suppliers are telling me neither of these products are being produced and not to expect them until October?!? I have some annual jobs that happen in July and I'll need something that can stick to concrete and/or be wrapped around concrete pillars.

Quote-rolla

Polar Grip from Drytac

drytac.com/drytac-wraps-up-winter-with-polar-grip-launch/#:~:text=Drytac%20Polar%20Grip%20is%20a,F%20to%20230°F).

Quote-rolla

Yes when heated the film will conform and mould over indoor and outdoor textured, painted or unpainted surfaces and is sufficiently flexible to wrap around columns

Precision

Ij180cv3/8520, we have learned over the years that ij180cv3 is a ongoing lasting cast vinyl, conforms to most anything well.

ikarasu

The problem is concrete / concrete pillars are like big thernos's. They tend to stay cold, so using 180 on them is hit or miss.

We just did a job in a parking garage .. we couldn't get 8624, so we used 180. The vinyl barelly stuck - we heated and post heated and went over everything... Within a week half of it was falling down. We knew it'd happen, but the customer insisted rather than waiting for proper material, even said he'd pay to redo it if it fell down.

Parking garages are a bit different though. If it's a concrete pillar above ground 180 should be fine. If it's warm out.... If it's underground, or in a non sunny spot... Tell your customer to wait until Oct!

Avery makes a brand... Orajet too. Ask your suppliers what they have for concrete vinyl - were a 100% 3m company, but in the past 2 years we've used almost every brand... You have to take what you can get.

Precision

Haven't had a problem yet. Also in SoCal, it's usually warm and dry. So what brand and type did you suggest?

ikarasu

I suggest whatever is available!

Avery 1405 is a concrete, orajet 3954... Brightline makes one... Honestly, the best bet is to call Grimco or fellers or whomever you buy from and ask what they have in stock.

180 LSE should work. Anything with a high tac adhesive would probably work.

In SoCal maybe it's fine. I'm in Vancouver, we did it in 5 celcius, which is 41f - and ours was an under ground... So the walls were cold to the touch. It makes the glue brittle, even if you pre heat it...

We did go back with 8624 once we got it a few weeks later, installed in the same temps / conditions and everything stuck. 8624 has a really high tac adhesive to it, so I think that's what made the difference.