• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

3M vinyl question

T

TonyC

We have been using 3M print media for 2 years now. My questions are about 40C and IJ35 for flat panel signs.

We print on IJ35 for most interior and exterior when the panel has a retainer (hide any shrinkage). 40C we use for everything exterior where the sign edge is visible and where more durability is warranted.

Because of our workflow and the now, now, now generation of customers we end up with a lot of waste.

How does the IJ35 hold up for exterior use? Can I use more IJ35 for exterior? Is the shrinkage visible on a wall mounted sign panel 12-15' high?
OR
Should I just use 40C more and forget about IJ35 unless it is a large enough job to warrant loading the printer?

AaronSSsignsKC

We have ran both 40c-10r and well ij35c-10r the 35c just has the comply adhesive on it and we use it for outdoor signage on a lot of jobs. Mostly jobs that we know are shorter term and most likely wont be up more than 3 years. But to be honest if laminated right and applied correctly the shrinkage between the 40 and 35 shouldn't be that much different if you are laminating both with the same laminates etc 8508, 8509, 8510....I am not sure what you use but if the laminate is the same then...now if you laminate the 40 with a higher grade cast laminate then I understand.

signgal01

I was using 40 for all my exterior jobs and now 2-3 years down the road it is not holding up good at all, I've never used 35 for exterior or long term applications.

reQ

whoever says 40c does not hold good outside is wrong. 40c is 7 year product, and if u will laminate it with "suggested" overlam, which is rated for 2-3 years, guess what. you will end up with 2 year product in the end. I use cast overlam with 40c and don't have a single issue.

Zambookajoe

He probably meant ij40 and not 40c

by my experience ij35 won't last more then 3-4 years

Ive been re doing some jobs that thought would of been okay with ij35 but nope

If its for more then a year don't use ij35

C

ColoPrinthead

At a previous job we used IJ35 applied to ACM for outdoor signs, after about 3 years the vinyl shrank about and 1/8 of an inch from the signs borders. This was using a cheap non 3M laminate that did not have UV protection.

T

TonyC

Laminate used...

We use the same 3M 8508 laminate (recommended by 3M) for both IJ35 and 40C. 40C is the replacement for IJ40 which is what we previously used.

reQ

Well, you can put that 8508 right into your garbage bin before you will get into problems down the road.