• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

40' Long x 4' Tall Wall Vinyl

Scott H

Any tips for how to install a long vinyl mural that will be printed on 3M Scotchcal IJ35. It will be installed from one continuous roll horizontally, without seams, on a painted drywall wall. Most of the vinyl we install is much smaller than this. We are doing this as part of a sign package that includes channel letters on the exterior, which is something we do often. I don't have a photo of the actual wall, as it probably doesn't exist yet, but the rendering shows the bottom of the graphic probably about 4'6" AFF. So we will be on ladders to reach the top.

Any tips you can give will be much appreciated.
1666625202466.png

signheremd

Mark the wall with tape to be sure you know if it starts to walk up or down. squeegee a line down the center for a five or so feet, then go up and down from center to lay, repeat. Have a second person holding the roll of vinyl or holding one end. Tape the whole thing up in place and keep tape on one end while laying the other.

Ultimate13

Great recommendations so far, stripping a portion of the release liner at the center to hinge it will help from walking up and down and easier to manage 20' at a time. I would only add that a rolling scaffold would be easier than ladders. It will take more people but will make it easier with someone pushing along as you install. They are available at HD for like $400. Good luck with the project!

jfiscus

Rap Master
Get a "Bill Collector" or "Big Squeegee" and do large passes to get it down most of the way, then go back over it to get any remaining air out. I'm pretty sure IJ35c is air release, right?
FWIW, why not use cast vinyl?

Scott H

Get a "Bill Collector" or "Big Squeegee" and do large passes to get it down most of the way, then go back over it to get any remaining air out. I'm pretty sure IJ35c is air release, right?
FWIW, why not use cast vinyl?
I think the IJ35c is air release but not the IJ35. We are just the installation contractor so we are not specifying or supplying the vinyl.

Scott H

Great recommendations so far, stripping a portion of the release liner at the center to hinge it will help from walking up and down and easier to manage 20' at a time. I would only add that a rolling scaffold would be easier than ladders. It will take more people but will make it easier with someone pushing along as you install. They are available at HD for like $400. Good luck with the project!
Thanks, we do have rolling scaffolding at our shop.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Tape it up with little pieces of tape all the way down. Vertical hinge about 18-24" off the left side, have one person pull it taut about 4' in front of you by pushing flat against it with their palms, reach behind and slowly pull off paper in about 1-2' sections. The backer will keep it straight and keep it from stretching. Cut the backer when it gets too long to handle with a long handled cutter. Use tape as a reference as already said but don't make a million marks and try to follow it exact or it may end up being choppy as you fixate on hitting the tape every few inches.

Bengt Backhaus

Tape it up with little pieces of tape all the way down. Vertical hinge about 18-24" off the left side, have one person pull it taut about 4' in front of you by pushing flat against it with their palms, reach behind and slowly pull off paper in about 1-2' sections. The backer will keep it straight and keep it from stretching. Cut the backer when it gets too long to handle with a long handled cutter. Use tape as a reference as already said but don't make a million marks and try to follow it exact or it may end up being choppy as you fixate on hitting the tape every few inches.

This is exactly how i do it and it works every time.