• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

54" plotter ???

skyhigh

I need a 54" plotter for a specialty job. Typically I do just fine with my smaller cutter, and don't believe I would use a larger cutter much, after this job is done. (6 months or so)

Question..... Should I buy one of those cheapies off ebay? I really don't want to spend a bunch of $$$ on a new Graphtec (well, not one that big anyways).

Anyone getting rid of their old one? Perhaps someone that moved up to one with registration (opus?)???

MrSalumi

if it were me, I would take the profits from the 6 month job (which should be substantial) and invest into a high dollar used summa or graphtec. Actually if it were me it would only be a summa.. Then you would be set for the next 10 six month jobs.. but if you really dont want to spend the money, just sub it out. Buying a cheapie is a waste of money, imho

qmr55

Don't buy the cheapy one, that 6 month job will take you 12 months.

Look around for a used one in good condition. You will find a good deal.

round man

the money you'll lose on material loss and labor time over a six month period of steady use should offset the cost of a better plotter,...i have a 60" doorstop collecting dust that cost $400 new on ebay that was given to me by a client for simply pointing that fact out to him while trying to address the problems of the cheap cutter. they work kinda ok for very light hobby use but I would treat them like a bad computer virus for a busy shop,..you end up with nothing but problems that cost more in the long run than a good name brand used plotter for light use and a new one for heavy use,....