• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

60 inch wide Cast Overlaminate?

ramz858

HI all, I'm new to the site and the wrapping world.

But I've taken on a big project.

I need a clear cast overlaminate for my 60" x 100' foot roll of cast vinyl.
This is going on large, flat panels on a vehicle, so abrasion and UV protection are a must.

I see the 3m 8518, the only problem is it comes in a 150 foot roll, so I would wind up with 50 feet leftover that I will probably never use. $500 or so for the full roll is hurting my financial well being!

Question #1:
Has anyone seen a vendor that will sell 3m 8518 by the yard, so I can buy just what I need? Or, I wonder if I could easily sell the leftover 50 feet?

Question #2:
Any good, lower priced 60" wide alternatives to 3m 8518? I don't expect/need this wrap to last 8 years. If I could get a good 2-5 years I'm stoked.

Question #3:
Maybe ClearShield sprayed or rolled on? I worry about scratches here.

Any help is much appreciated.

rjssigns

Here's some advice. SUB IT OUT. The printing, the installation, EVERYTHING. If you've never done it before you're in for a world of aggravation and expense. An "extra" 50 feet of material is the least of your problems.

DigiPrinter

Ramz, if you feel confident in the printing and install then go for it! RJ forgets he started at one point too....but he's right in the fact that if you're not confident and think all the steps through you could botch it up. If you're going to be in the business don't worry about the extra lamination, you'll use it down the road on another project and that'll make the next project more profitable. Just my opinion and hope it all goes smoothly....

ramz858

Yep.

When you buy ink do you ask your suppliers if they have any half carts lying around so you don't get more than you need......? :rolleyes:

All smarta$$ comments aside, carrying inventory is just another cost of doing business. Consider it as motivation to get out there and sell more jobs to use up that material. :thumb:

Oh....and, eliminate #3 from your list of options.

I tried to keep my questions specific and concise to keep it simple...This is a 1 off project for myself, and I will never need the leftover material. So "cost of doing business", "subbing it out", and "pricing the job right" are not applicable here.

ramz858

My apologies, I assumed you were a sign company.

So since you're not a sign company, I have to ask....what kind of cast vinyl do you have and how will it be printed?
I do signs, but no vinyl. Everything I do is out of wood or acrylic on the CO2 laser.
Haha now I'm really in for it.. It's a cast chrome...wait for it...from China. I've got a sample of the stuff, slapped it on the panel and it actually applies and looks great. I will not be printing it whatsoever, plain chrome. I know this won't last forever, but I'm going for sheer "wow" factor for a s long as it lasts, then I'll redo it, since this chrome costs less than 25% of what Avery and the big company chromes cost.

ramz858

Oh okay now I get it. Sorry if I came across as a d!ck it just sounded like you were one of those "I want to wrap my own company vehicle to save $ types" that sometimes make it through the registration.

So the fact that you're dealing with chrome vinyl, makes me think that you would want an optically clear laminate.

When we order optically clear, we order Oracal (now Orafol) 290F, and we are able to order it in 5 yd increments.

Now, this is 54" width, AND in Canada, but I'm thinking if you talk to some suppliers you'll have better luck getting 290F in short rolls than a 3M product.

Hope that helps - let us know how it goes with the Chinese chrome. Haven't had much demand (or interest) in playing with the chrome vinyl but it is a pretty cool effect.

Thanks, quick question: Is there any issue with the laminator when I have them do a 60" roll with a 54" overlaminate? I don't really mind the 6" of waste. I'm guessing the 54" would be centered on the 60", so 3" waste on each side?

4R Graphics

Most color wrap films dont get laminated.

However I can see where the chrome would benfit from it BUT
Chrome does not last for very long and laminating it may help but dont think so.

If you are going to laminate it I would go with 3M 8518 or Oracal 290 (3M 8518 is as good or better than most of the cheap optically clear laminates)

Also most of the optically clear laminates have no UV protection.

Installing chrome is a monster compared to regular wrap vinyls printed or colored.

The biggest problem with chrome is it doesnt conform well and if you heat it to much or stretch it a little to far then the chrome mirror effect cracks and it looks like CRAP.

I wouldnt want chrome to be my first wrap experience (and I have wrap experience)

Good luck hope it turns out well for you.

Christian @ 2CT Media

I would recommend an optically clear laminate for the chrome. This is what we have done for the Avery wrap chrome to prevent scratches. I would recommend 3M 8514 or Oracal 290F both can be ordered in 60" and I believe some suppliers will sell you the 290F in yardage cuts.