• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

65 Daytona stripes

aerial

QCB
My husband spent two years holed up in the garage building a 65 Daytona Coupe replica from a kit. Now that it is painted he has decided that he wants the stripes and number on it, like the picture below. The stripes go over a big hood scoop. I have done a fair amount of vehicle graphics, but I have never had much luck with big compound curves. I always get wrinkles.

What would be my best plan of action? I have a summa cutter. For the hood scoop I could use a color change material and knifeless tape to cut straight edges if the material deforms over the hood scoop. The stripes curve around the circle on the hood, so it would be nice to cut them on the vinyl cutter. For the circles, I could either cut the white and overlay black numbers, or just have them printed. In any case, if I need to use different materials I would need the white materials to match.

Is there a real conformable electro cut air egress vinyl out there?

car.jpeg
19888386-1965-shelby-daytona-std-696x522.jpg

JBurton

Signtologist
Oh that's sweet!
Now, I'm not going to call into question your abilities, I'm sure you could take care of this just fine, but you may want to tell him to kick rocks and find a wrap shop that does quality wrap work. You don't want this to be a sore point for years to come, 'yeah, aerial kinda got the driver side crooked' kinda bs.
At any rate, 3m ij 2080 is probably going to be your best bet. You can plot it, though it does have a clear protective liner that you'll want to make sure you are cutting through in addition to the vinyl. If you're going to get the digits printed, you could also have them 'print' and plot the stripes for you to ensure they match. That bump is not going to be fun, knifeless tape or not, you can't roll into it, so you'll just have to stretch and form it, but that'll cause your edge to wrinkle if you're not careful. Overall the odds of lifting overtime are pretty high there. You could alternatively do it in two pieces, one to lay on the hood and up the edges of the bump by .5" or so, then wrap over the bump and trim at the overlap.

aerial

QCB
I did read about 3m ij 2080 in a previous post. I read that you should remove the protective liner before plotting. I am going to give it a go. Hoping to do it myself, since my husband actually built the whole car, it would be a nice finale. Thanks for the tips! If it doesn't work out, there are a few pro wrap shops in my area that I could pass the job on to.

damonCA21

Do it properly and get the stripes painted on ! you can always use vinyl for the circles. The car is gorgeous, so don't ruin it by having something less than perfect for the stripes.

DL Signs

Never go against the family
Most of it shouldn't be too bad, that hood will probably be the most problematic because of the scoop. What I do for cars with scoops and double stripes is make those oversized. Always easy to get one edge lined up, even with compound curves around if it goes straight over. Lay the inside of the stripes straight down the center of the hood, lay from there outwards, and use knifeless tape for just the outsides of the stripes. Figured this trick out doing a gasser with a massive bubble scoop, worked like a charm, stripes were straight and even. If you have issues on any panel you can do this.

hood.jpg