• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

700W white ink puddle?

Alpha Star

Brand new machine. There was a minor head strike during install, so maybe it’s related? The tech was nice enough to send 4 replacement heads, but not of them are white. Anyone else seen white ink puddles like this? Install was 5 days ago, printed 4 inches since with no problem.

Attachments

• 035754DE-5AB2-450C-8315-50D0B011261A.jpeg
    035754DE-5AB2-450C-8315-50D0B011261A.jpeg
    537 KB · Views: 217

balstestrat

Problem Solver
White printhead could be fucked. You should see which one from the bottom. Don't put it back.
Another possibility if the carriage was idling there after the crash for a while, it could have just dump some ink there, not a big problem.

Last edited:

Splash0321

Professional Amateur
This happened to me probably about every month. Sometimes it would be printing and leak onto the print, sometimes it would just leak into the maintenance cartridge.

My second printer did this twice in the first 6 weeks. HP was 0/2 for me on the 700w. Both printers I sent back had white ink residue all over that location.

I would say get used to this and be prepared to have hp send you new printheads all the time.

Alpha Star

Thanks guys! What's the best way to see under it? Pulll it out? Or is there a way to move the carriage to a spot where it's visible?

ToTo

Professional Support
Just use the task to replace the maintenance cartridge and reseat it after verification. You can easily determine the faulty PH when seeing the capping.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Thanks guys! What's the best way to see under it? Pulll it out? Or is there a way to move the carriage to a spot where it's visible?
Did they not give you any training....? You are supposed to take out the printheads and put them in the storage when you don't use em... and at that point it's pretty easy to see how they look, how caps in the maintenance cartridge look and also if there is any ink puddle in the storage box caps.

Alpha Star

That was touched on in training, but it wasn't carried out. I'm just trying to be cautious, because it just says to put the heads away if not printing for "extended periods", so I wasn't sure if the process used a ton of ink.

JBurton

Signtologist
They say to extract the white print heads when there is a long color job, I guess the implication here is a long color job with no white?
So basically, if it's not printing white, unload the white heads? That's a pain, and I guess it's too expensive to print white under color constantly unless it's required for the job?

balstestrat

Problem Solver
They say to extract the white print heads when there is a long color job, I guess the implication here is a long color job with no white?
So basically, if it's not printing white, unload the white heads? That's a pain, and I guess it's too expensive to print white under color constantly unless it's required for the job?
Yeah that's what it means. It's so easy to take the printheads out and if you leave them in it's just cleaning them more and you will waste some white ink (and maintenance cartridge) on that.

If you can just by any means pool your white ink jobs for one day of the week or two days, just keep em in during those days and take em out after. After all I think it's rare cases that you would be constantly mixing up color and white jobs every day. And if you do you just keep them in forever.

I would personally just take them out at the end of every day if there is no white job in queue for next morning.

Last edited:

Alpha Star

We print white on almost every job. We have deactivated the circulation systems on all our UV printers because it just doesn’t apply to us.

I do think we should remove them on weekends. After I get some data from the first set of heads. Let’s see how long they last in each scenario. So far it looks like cleanings take 1.5 percent of the white ink per day.

I will say any extra steps are worth it. The white looks better than even the Summa, which is saying a lot.

DChorbowski

Pixel Pusher
I try and remove our white heads as soon as we are done printing any white, but have definitely forgot to do so two or three times since we got the 700W. It will certainly waste ink and maintenance cartridge life, especially if its over a long weekend. One other thing we also found out the hard way was they are very serious about all the various shaking directions of the ink cartridge when you replace it. We forgot to do it once and it caused all kinds of problems, and somehow the machine even knew and scolded us. Ended up having to replace both white heads which were close to expiring anyways, but also had to do some kind of crazy cleaning cycle a few times that took quite a bit of ink. That all being said, the quality/density of the white is fantastic compared to anything else we have seen.