• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

751 acting like calendared.

DoubleDiamond

We've been using 751 metallic silver for years and recently removed large graphics from a black tahoe that had been on there for about 4 years and the letters and swoosh were dull and cracked and shrank. Our sales rep says 751 is not cast but a premium calandered. I think that's true looking at this silver next to some 951 blue that looked great on the same vehicle. 6 or more years I can understand, or facing up like a hood or reef, but the sides looking 10 years old at 4 years is a problem. I wish I had pics.
Anybody else think it's really calendared and not cast?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
The official spec sheet says the metallic have a 5 year outdoor life but can be shorter depending on how vertical the surface is. If you're using any of the "brilliant" colors, they only get 3 years. However, the spec sheet does call it all cast with no mention of calendared.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
751 cast.jpg

petepaz

i think it's just because it's metallic. metallic doesn't hold up as long as regular colored cast vinyl.
especially if it experiences extreme weather conditions (heat, sun and cold)

DoubleDiamond

I have a color book too and seeing this again helps. Here in West Texas we always take a year off what it says it's rated for so this makes sense, except that it probably looked new for two years and breaks down before three. I really think the sales rep is wrong too. It's gotta be a cast. Maybe bottom shelf cast like some car wrap material that's kinda new and is a combination of both. The price is also like calendared. Just slightly higher than 651 and then 951 is very noticeably higher. Think I'll just start using the 951 where it's gotta count. I hope this helps some folks thinking the silver 751 will hold up to it's expected lifespan. We've had no issues with any other colors BTW.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
It’s a cast film,
Silver or any metallic vinyl won’t last as long as non metallic cast film, also a bitch to remove because if tears in little pieces. Have to heat it and plow it with a little chiseler.

petepaz

removal of any aged vinyl sucks but metallic and reflective are the worst.
MDX vinyl zapper makes quick work of that
It’s a cast film,
Silver or any metallic vinyl won’t last as long as non metallic cast film, also a bitch to remove because if tears in little pieces. Have to heat it and plow it with a little chiseler.