• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

A Good Font Collection?

coyote

After the thrilling Gerber 4B discussion, it occured to me that I don't have many of the fonts that I grew to love with my Gerber.

So, do folks buy one at a time as needed, or as collections of fonts? I don't need EVERY iteration of Helvetica....and I've seen that I can buy them individually. Just wondering. What's the most cost effective way to do this?

I know he who dies with the most fonts wins and all that, but I really only need about 12 to round out my collection for now.

Recommendations will be appreciated.

thanks, Carol

Former member

There's lots of places to buy fonts...
I personally like House Industries, Veer, & You Work For Them. The stuff is pricey but, but worth it in my opinion.
I think those mass collections are great & handy to have when you need to match something, but I purposely avoid them when I design something new. Most of the typefaces included are totally overused.( except helvetica, of course.)

Rodi

I like to have a good standard set of fonts, Corel has Bistream fonts which is a good set of Standard fonts, then Canvas has a great set of unique fonts 2540 of them, some text most fore headlines. Then buy some cool fonts from here:
http://artandsignstudio.com/orderfonts.html
There are others too. I think key to remember is there are deals and then there are times not to deal and get the right fonts. If you need a standard Grotesk, but the Softmaker Megafont CD 50 bux, it has a good standard Grotesk, but if you need Akzindenz Grotesk, by all means buy BQ Berthold Akzindenz Grotesk not BE,which is inferior to BQ. Remember good quality fonts will not be memory hogs that some cheap ass fonts are.

S

Sign-Man Signs

We bought a collection back about 4 years ago. 18,000. I have them installed on one of our PC's. We add all the time. Does slow down the Ram a little.

Replicator

We bought a collection back about 4 years ago. 18,000. I have them installed on one of our PC's. We add all the time. Does slow down the Ram a little.

You do know that the Windows fonts folder is only capable of handling 1,000 fonts correctly . . .

I'll bet you a thousand dollars that when you open a design program you won't find all 18,000 fonts listed in there . . .

I had problems last year with one PC having 2,600 fonts loaded !

I would go to use a font and wouldn't be there, but yet is was in the fonts folder.

I now use FontNav which is part of Corel . . . I load and unload fonts as needed !

Kenny

Ditto on Signfonts.com...nice addition to anyone's collection and a great set if your just starting out.

coyote

Thanks all: I do have a lot of fonts, just don't have some of my Gerber faves: Helvetica, Friz, etc. I'd like to have them. We got by with 20 fonts in our 4b days for 20 years-just hand drew what we needed if we didn't have it.

I'll check em out tomorrow when I'm more awake.
Carol