• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

A good wall mural vinyl.

CC-CMYK

For years we've been using 3M IJ40-r vinyl for a majority of our vinyl prints including wall murals. We liked it because it's a good versatile vinyl we could use for many types of applications. Now that is's close to $500 a roll when it use to be under $300 it's eating into our margins too much and we'd like to not charge our clients too much more.

I'd like to know what I should use for a good quality wall vinyl for museums, interior wall graphics, offices, etc. It would be good to have the ability to remove if needed but be permeant for as long as the client wants. The museums often want vinyl up for 3 months to several years depending on the show.

Precision

If that's eating your margins, you are not charging enough. Buy the right material and charge accordingly. Just my .02 cents.

Lot's of options, but I think your already using a very affordable vinyl.

CC-CMYK

If that's eating your margins, you are not charging enough. Buy the right material and charge accordingly. Just my .02 cents.

Lot's of options, but I think your already using a very affordable vinyl.
No suggestions on vinyl other then charge more?

Precision

We are in California, most walls we test usually use low VOC paints. Many vinyls won't stay put. So before doing a wrap we always do a wall adhesion test, using a 3M wall adhesion test kit ($100 from Fellers or grimco) We will test 3M Ij35c, 3m ij39 (hi tac) and 3M ij180cv3. Then decide which. It also allows us to be a 3M shop, have limited amounts of different brand vinyls on hand, and sleep well at night.

Over the years and quite a few wall wraps later, I can tell you that the 3M ij180cv3 with 8520 has always held up best, with the lowest percentage for comebacks or repairs. Typically we are at $12 a square foot, includes art setup, all printed materials and installation. Design is the variable here. If it's complex or has pictures and text, unvectored artwork, we charge accordingly. If it is print ready vector artwork, we may not charge them at all. Just depends on the art idea, concept and type of files.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Megagrafix

President
I have seldom seen the cost of the substrate have much impact on the selling price. It is all relative to the right material and charging a profitable price.