• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

A program that auto traces better than CorelDraw and AI

Andy D

Hey all, about 6 months ago some of you guys named a program that you preferred over CorelDraw and AI for doing auto tracing.
I downloaded the free version and liked it, but somehow deleted it and can't freaken remember what the name was.
It wasn't a well known program... any help? Thanks

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I don't think it was Imagaro either, they don't have a trial version do they?
Have you used it?

Don't know if they do or not. I purchased a copy years ago and don't use it. But I'm not a fan of auto tracing. From what I recall, the tracing was better than most and the font recognition auto replace is a great plus when it works.

To me the basic problem is that with any auto tracing program, one uses global settings ... so some results within an art image will be correct while often others are not. The difference in quality between any auto traced vector and a hand traced one is substantial.

sardocs

I recently upgraded my Corel12 version to Corel X7 and I gotta say the autotrace is 1000% improved.

Andy D

sorry for the confusion, I assumed I deleted because it was a trial version that had expired...

It is a well know program? It's new to me, but then I stick to the programs I know
until I have to look for another one.

WildWestDesigns

It is a well know program? It's new to me, but then I stick to the programs I know
until I have to look for another one.

Been around since late 90s, I believe as it started off as a native Gnome (a Linux desktop environment, I use it on my Fedora and Ubuntu systems) illustration application and then it was "forked" to it's own project and become known as Inkscape. Mid 2000s I think.

Unlike GIMP (in relation to GIMP and Ps), it's not quite there (in my opinion) as a full replacement of Ai or DRAW, but the latest version has come a long way since the previous version. I still prefer Ai over it, but I do prefer Inkscape over DRAW.

signbrad

Inkscape is excellent at tracing in my opinion.

When I use it, I let it trace by colors (you determine how many) The separate color traces it produces are layered on top of one another. Simply separate them by ungrouping and choose which is best, or weld two or three together to get a good final version.

Some basic commands are shown in this video:

[video=youtube;rzmdqwFpxp8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzmdqwFpxp8[/video]

This next video is helpful but the narrator is not too fluent. If you jump to 3:00 you will skip her explanation of the difference between a vector and a bitmap.
At 16:37 she traces an "eye" image that I found helpful.

[video=youtube;07-Vde5TxLQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07-Vde5TxLQ[/video]

I especially like the "preview" feature of Inkscape's tracing program.
Inkscape is not perfect. Some I things I do not like about it at all. But it is my first choice for tracing.

Brad in Kansas City

decalman

I'm getting this Inkscape. I now use Corel x5, which traces good.
I usually vector draw most stuff, but I look forward to checking this out.

:thankyou: