• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

A suggestion for anyone getting a new computer . . .

jayhawksigns

get a dual-core.

Two years ago we got our JV3 and I built a new computer that was used as my design station. I built a dual processor computer and I could really tell the difference at the time over the single processor computer I had been using. Over the past two years I think I started taking the extra power I had packed into the computer for granted. Last week, one of the processors started acting up and tonight I finally tore into it and I can't fix it. The last week has been terrible, I forgot how slow work was trying to run everything on a single processor computer. When you get used to being able to run Photoshop and Flexi, full steam, both at the same time, it sucks when you lose it.

So I am buying a new set of chips off of ebay and should have my dual processor goodness back within the week. But I highly recommend that anyone on here who does any amount of work in more than one design software, that a dual-core processor is more than worth it.

OldPaint

processors from EBAY? boy what a waste of time....so many places you can buy processors on line, with garentees and quick shipping....and more then likely FOR LESS then waht you get on EBAY. try www.mwave.com
i buy all my computer stuff here......never a bad product or any problems with diliver or returns.

stickitco

I have always used tigerdirect.com Never had any problems. I would have to agree I would be careful when buying from ebay.

jayhawksigns

They were Athlon XP processors, forgot which core they were.

But for a brief history lesson, the only difference between XP (single processor) and the Athlon MPs (dual processor) chips was extra testing that AMD did on the chips, and a bridge that was cut on the surface of the cpu. For a time you could run some conductive material between the two cut contacts and voila, you have a MP processor. And at the time, you could pick up two XP processors for less than you could for a slower MP processor. So that's what I did. Now for whatever reason, the contacts wont connect anymore. I have two perfectly good XP 2400 processors though, and I have some ideas for them already.

As for buying off of ebay. I checked, and as far as I can tell it is the only place where I can get new MP 2400+ or faster processors.

OldPaint

As for buying off of ebay. I checked, and as far as I can tell it is the only place where I can get new MP 2400+ or faster processors.
you aint looked to hard....anywhere else. MWAVE has 3000 processors......if you got a 2400 then youre board will accept a 3000...chip.....

jayhawksigns

OP - Sorry but I just checked there and I couldn't find the MP processors that I need, they do have Semprons but as far as I know they won't work for me.

Its hard when you try to continue to use older technology after new things come out. I just hate the idea of ditching the entire core of the system.

My wife came by today when we were out of town and she and the boss decided they think its best to leave the computer running with one processor and just build the new computer I have been specing out for myself. So I guess I will be playing with some Athlon 64 X2 goodness by the end of the month.

But I am still not ready to give up on getting those other Athlon MPs though, it was supposed to end up being my rip computer. I don't know, $300 for a new cpu, $75 for a motherboard, $150 2GB ram, versus $250 to keep up 2 year old tech. Maybe I should.