• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Acrylic urethane catalized paint

OCsteve

Anyone ever heard of this type of paint? We are doing a box truck install and the client was told by a body shop that they can paint a truck one day with acrylic urethane catalized paint and install vinyl the next day. Makes me kind of nervous to think about installing vinyl a day after painting.

letterman7

Industry standard automotive paint. It's either one stage or two stage, depending if there is a clear coat, but for a box truck it'll probably be single stage. You can put graphics on it the next day if they have a booth that bakes the paint layer. If they don't I'd have them wait at least a week. That's what I tell my clients and have never had a failure yet.

UFB Fabrication

I dont know if you should not check with actual paint mfr. Mathews paint is still gassing off for 72+ hours. It may not bubble if the vinyl is permiable but foil and reflective are not. I bet the paint mfr, says NO.

artsnletters

Anyone ever heard of this type of paint? We are doing a box truck install and the client was told by a body shop that they can paint a truck one day with acrylic urethane catalized paint and install vinyl the next day. Makes me kind of nervous to think about installing vinyl a day after painting.
ANY urethane will out gas for a while...i would be verry leery of having that short of deadline. It's best to wait a few days if you can. If you don't you certainly will have imprinting of the vinyl texture onto the fresh paint....meaning if you take the vinyl off it will have a flat texture and not retain it's gloss. Make the body shop guarantee any defects, bubbles or flaws after the fact. Better yet wait....
Tim

petrosgraphics

we use mathews alot have always tried to wait at least a week.....
it really makes a mess of the vinyl if it gases off... all you have to do is experience this one time,it is not a pretty site....

artsnletters

we use mathews alot have always tried to wait at least a week.....
it really makes a mess of the vinyl if it gases off... all you have to do is experience this one time,it is not a pretty site....

as far as Matthews goes, i don't know but either single stage or basecoat/clearcoat automotive systems can and do outgass...there is a lot of variables in the urethanes. Some are high build, some dry real quick, some have better production/speed qualities, & some better for custom applications.
Many different brands, price points and quality. All should have material safety spec sheets available. I would still err on the side of caution (wait) if it was me. Other than the paintshop getting paid sooner what's the hurry? Are you working for the end user or the paint shop? If it's the end user, logically explain the reasons for letting it cure fully. If not, make the body shop warrantee the job is you rush it on their demand. The drag is that if you don't do it someone else will probably do the job anyway, without regard for the long term.
Tim

krazyk5

We use Matthews all day long but we also have a heated booth. With a little heat and Matthews Accelerator we have applied vinyl the same day and not have problems. Again we wait at least a day if we can.

It's better to wait then to scrape!!!

There are ways to reduce the wait time with catalysed acrylic polyurethane, but as has already been noted by others, there are a lot of variables. My understanding of automotive paints is that they typically are "sped up" via baking in a heated booth, rather than by extensive use of chemical accelerators. Again as noted, permeability of the vinyl would also be a factor; reflectives are not permeable at all, and generally require twice the dry time before applying versus opaque vinyls. If I were you, I'd ask specific questions about how they achieve the times they're claiming; ask what paint system they use, and get the specs from the manufacturer's website to confirm. Good luck!

Fatboy

We probably shoud'nt but we apply the next day. But on a big job like that ...I will wait at least 2-3 days