• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions Add something to the edge of a carpet print

Andrew Hodgson

I printed a graphic on a sample roll of UltraCarpet® Extra. This is the first time I am dealing with carpet. We are looking to place the carpet by an entryway, so there will be nothing to cover up the edges of the carpet unlike a trade show.

I am wondering if there is any finishing techniques to make the carpet look more nice on the edges. For example, see the attached image with the blue carpet. We did not do this. How did a company do this?

Attachments

• 20190603_150609.jpg
    20190603_150609.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 223
  • 20190603_154008.jpg
    20190603_154008.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 207

flyplainsdrifta

have you tried to reach out to ultraflex??i find it strange theres nothing else on their product page other than tech specs. alot of their specialty stuff has a decent writeup for each regarding use and prep. but ive thought about getting a sample of that too. howd that go print wise??

Andrew Hodgson

have you tried to reach out to ultraflex?? ive thought about getting a sample of that too. howd that go print wise??

I am very happy with how the print came out. Just be aware that you might need to clean your printer after you do a run of this stuff. The fibers are pretty loose on the edges and come off.

I have also printed on Fisher Textiles GF 2400. I really liked this one as well, but it doesn't really look like carpet. It already has a rubber backing and it won't fray.

fozzie

we have done carpets on our uv flatbed using same ultraflexx. to finish the edges (to prevent fraying) need to carpet bind the edges. see pix.
recommend calling a local carpet company. they have/or use carpet binding folks to do carpets and remnants.
can run anywhere from $2 - $4 linear foot in our area.
the fibers can play havoc with your heads. we vacuumed the material prior to printing, taped down the edges, and immediately cleaned our heads and printer everywhere
still found fibers days later....

Attachments

• IMG_5776.JPG
    IMG_5776.JPG
    587.4 KB · Views: 186

zspace

Premium Subscriber
For some of the rugs around the shop we use Instabind Carpet Carpet Binding off of Amazon. (not sure if a link is permitted) It works OK with hot glue, but definitely not the solution you would get from a sewn edge.