• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Adding A Cutter For My XC-540

quikseps

Okay...I have this nice XC-540 however also using it as the cutter too is taking WAY TOO LONG due to the nature of my jobs (small decals). I figure I could almost double production if I can cut while the printer is printing other jobs, so, the need for an external cutter?

Anyhow, since I'm new and need to ask dumb questions here goes:

I'm looking into buying a Roland GX-500 to use as my cutter for the XC-540. Question is, does this simply take the file generated from Versaworks and do its thing with the crop marks, etc?....And accurately? Or am I getting into adding a potential problem by not cutting on the printer itself?

Also, if this cutter addition works, would you suggest getting another computer for the cutter or can a single computer drive the printer's RIP and cutter simultaneously?

Thanks again!

Steve

Pro Image

The GX will work for you cutting needs.......Its one nice machine.......I think versaworks will run the cutter and printer both on one computer....

quikseps

Thanks ProImage. Appreciate the reply. Any other thoughts or opinions from all those more knowledgeable than me, LOL! is also very much appreciated.

Steve

customsticker

I thought about this same thing. My question is, the GX-500 is a 50" cutter or so. Will we be able to only cut up to 50 or even 50" wide when we have a 54" printer?

LightHouse

you could go for a graphtec fc7000 series as well. and i beleive you would have to run a seperate computer otherwise it would be cumbersome and slow.

Robert M

Gx 500

The GX 500 will take up to 54" material, but will cut to 47". I'll check if you can cut only to a Roland cutter in Versaworks. There may be an option of using the Cut Studio software that comes with the GX series. There is a GX 500 demo unit available at $3995.00 if you go that way

Robert
800-328-1306

customsticker

With only a 47" cut width, there is no reason to consider this as an external cutter to a Soljet.

Why would roland do this? Just seems dumb.

quikseps

You ain't kidding. Started looking at a Graphtec cutter but there's a boatload of issues here since I could not use Versaworks to determine the number of decals I want to print. This would have to be done in Illustrator to create a file with 50, 70, 100, etc., pre-spaced decals which is a major pain. Only other solution might be using Flexi which I don't have and at $3,000 for Flexi and another $4500 for the cutter, its starting to get expensive.

One would think Roland would make a 54" cutter that can read a Versaworks file?