• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

adding crop mark tabs over existing crop marks

Gary1

Question. I am printing on fake large engine turned Gold vinyl. My printer, Mimaki JV150 prints the crop marks using SignLab 10. Now I do not have the camera option on the Summa.
I have the Summa S2T160. So what I have to do is print crop marks onto White vinyl then cut into squares of maybe 1.25" with the Black crop mark placed in the center. I then calibrate this
into the cutter. It's rather difficult to place the printed crop mark exactly over the printed crop mark that's on the large engine turned Gold vinyl. It would be nice if I could print a hairline box of 1.25" around
the crop mark then I could just line up the 1.25" white sticker within the printed box and everything should line up fine. Right now I am trying to line up the crop marks onto themselves which is never spot
on accurate unless I cut out the crop mark out of the White 1.25" sticker. But when I do this, the crop mark is not s solid Black because it's transparent and you can see the Gold engine turned underneath the Black ink. Any tricks anyone would like to share? I'd like to learn more! Thanks in advance. I've had this cutter for 4 years now and fine but sometimes have issues with vinyls with finishes on them like the fake engine turned Gold stuff.

Dan360

Colour the crop mark in with sharpie or micron pen and then use whiteout around it (just get as close to the mark edge as possible on all 4 sides), quicker than trying to line up vinyl. It's mainly looking for the edge, you might not even need to colour it in.

81lYwUMEJAL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Gary1

Colour the crop mark in with sharpie or micron pen and then use whiteout around it (just get as close to the mark edge as possible on all 4 sides), quicker than trying to line up vinyl. It's mainly looking for the edge, you might not even need to colour it in.

View attachment 168854
You have to color it in because I use only the Black ink cartridge in making the crop marks and it does appear to be light. I could bump it up and put 20, 20, 20, 100 to get a richer Black crop mark. The Gerber Edge was a lot easier to use when printing and cutting on this type of vinyl. lol

Gary1

View attachment 168854
That's a lot of White out to use when I have probably 60 crop marks to White out. And you have to White out at least an inch square with the crop mark in the center. That's why I have cut out the crop mark out of a 1" x 1" White vinyl square and place the cut out hole over the crop mark. The results were like 85% good. I would roughly place this tab with the cut out right over the crop mark, then Sharpie the crop mark then place the tab over with the Sharpie painted crop mark thru the hole. Barbaric and time wasting. Just wish there was a true and tried way that was quick.